PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Doesn't anyone else feel like Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture is the exactly the same as Royal Yacht without the topping?
I know they are both Dunhill virginia blends, but I just can't escape feeling like they are the exact same blend, one with a topping and one without.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Royal Yacht and Elizabethan Mixture taste quite different to me.....however, I do think Ye Olde Signe tastes very very similar to Royal Yacht, with a slightly different topping.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Hmmm ... I guess I find Royal Yacht kind of plummy and is the sweeter of the two, and Elizabethan less fruity (in line with your topping observation?) with a spicier, smokier profile. But then, my tongue, nose and palate have been damaged by years of smoking. :lol:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Back in the mid 1990's when Marc Burrows was the head tobacconist for the Dunhill Tobacco Shop, I used to have him mix me up a batch of Elizabethan with the Royal Yacht mysterious topping added. He would send it to me in 100g tins and called it My Mixture 101010 because I told him 10 was my lucky number. I can't remember the year I ordered the last batch of that delicious combination but I've long since run out. The Virginia in the two blends was very similar but RY had a little Burley and no Perique. All I know is that the combination of Elizabethan and the RY secret topping made for one heck of a fine blend.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The Virginia in the two blends was very similar but RY had a little Burley and no Perique.
As a fan of both blends, I view them as similar in flavor, with Royal Yacht being the big brother of the two. Both are worth exploring, although Elizabethan Mixture strikes me as sweeter, more like a typical Va/Per.
Ye Olde Signe tastes very very similar to Royal Yacht, with a slightly different topping.
Something new for the shopping list!
I used to have him mix me up a batch of Elizabethan with the Royal Yacht mysterious topping added.
That sounds... delicious. We all know that Royal Yacht is topped with pure perfection.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I guess it is an unpopular opinion.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I DO tend to smoke too fast and hot. I may not be getting the same experience as you slower smokers.
I guess I need to revisit them both and see if I can coax a different experience out of them.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I DO tend to smoke too fast and hot. I may not be getting the same experience as you slower smokers.
Virginia tobaccos need to be smoked slow. They are a delicate leaf, They get hot and the flavor goes away.
Royal Yacht and Elizabethan taste totally different to me. I enjoy both, a lot, but very different.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Side note: The weather here is starting to warm up enough where I'll be able to smoke Va and Va/per mixes and taste them again. (cold weather makes their taste go away too)

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I DO tend to smoke too fast and hot. I may not be getting the same experience as you slower smokers.

"Smoke what you like, like what you smoke" principle defends your practice in a way. Sometimes (not all the time of course ;) ) I like to smoke hot. Sensory equipment damaged by too many cigarettes and cigars and whatnot. Maybe you do, too, sometimes. That doesn't discount your impression.
At least no one's thrown any chairs at anyone ... :lol:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Unpopular opinions are not unlike breaking wind. Ones own gas never seems particularly bad whilst the exhaust from a friends back side always seems to have room clearing quality with a hint of sulphur room note. Somethings I like such a XXX Black Twist I have been told smell like a meat BBQ and Condor and Warrior Plug both have their own particular room notes which have been compared to all sorts of unpleasant emissions. I told this anecdote before, but many years ago when I worked as a clerk in London I went through a phase of smoking Three Nuns probably because someone got it for me in Duty Free. My boss at the time picked up the tin on my desk whilst complaining about my pipe and said 'Three Nones? None today. None tomorrow and none ever!'. We all know my opinion on RY but in the end smoke what makes you happy. There are no prizes for being a crowd pleaser and the happiest man in my opinion is the one who ploughs his own farrow.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
My unpopular opinion is that Ye Olde Signe is basically Elizabethan Mixture without the Perique. Royal Yacht and Ye Olde Signe taste very different to me.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I have to try Ye Old Signe. I am rather fond of Elizabethan Mixture but it is very sweet, something Royal Yacht rectifies, plus adding necessary Nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.