PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I saw a well-produced documentary on Toni Morrison on PBS last night. She casts a spell on writers, friends, critics, and publishers, and her five novels caused her to receive the Nobel Prize in Literature, which ain't too shabby. In among the many video clips and stills were several stills of her holding or waving a pipe. The first time, I thought it was some offhanded joke, but when a pipe picture showed up for the second or third time (and these photos had undoubtedly been approved by her) I thought, gosh, Toni Morrison is a pipe smoker. If I knew how to get it to her through her screeners and staff, I'd send her a tin. She's definitely one of our most distinguished literary pipe smokers of the times.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oh no, and you are so right. I had that sinking feeling after I posted, but the documentary didn't say that, so I thought I was thinking of someone else. I guess I'll have to send a tin of premium tobacco to the other side. Ha! That's embarrassing, and reminds me of Hemingway quoting the bartender at the Ritz: "People are dying this year who never died before." Or last year in this case. Thank you for the correction. To save face and blame it on someone else, I'll say, they should have noted that in the show. Anyway, she is an eminent literary pipe smoker, and may she RIP.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Oh no, and you are so right. I had that sinking feeling after I posted, but the documentary didn't say that, so I thought I was thinking of someone else. I guess I'll have to send a tin of premium tobacco to the other side. Ha! That's embarrassing, and reminds me of Hemingway quoting the bartender at the Ritz: "People are dying this year who never died before." Or last year in this case. Thank you for the correction. To save face and blame it on someone else, I'll say, they should have noted that in the show. Anyway, she is an eminent literary pipe smoker, and may she RIP.
My wife is a fan, and I've read some of her collection. She had an impressive talent.?

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
My kids read Toni Morrison in high school in late 90s but, thinking she was a "political writer," I resisted reading her until last year. I was wrong to wait. Song of Solomon was very good but Beloved was spectacular and utterly unique. Morrison was definitely not over-rated. I'll keep my eye out for the documentary on her.

Reactions: jpmcwjr