An unfortunate metal pipe comes to life again.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
So, I got these two sad metal pipes in the mail today. The Falcon is the lucky one to go first into the repair shop. This is all new to me, so hopefully I won't make any fatal mistakes. I wanted a bent Falcon, but couldn't find a used one cheap. I got these two for six bucks. That's cheap.

This is what they looked like before starting.
35272164680_1b6c5e30e7_z_d.jpg

35529024101_00888b2572_z_d.jpg

And the Falcon from the bottom.
35490581722_04d0bfebb7_z_d.jpg

Those are the ebay pics. I was a bit worried about the dent in the bottom of the Falcon, but it is fine. I forgot to take pics of the before, but I did have the ebay pics.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
And, in my excitement to get started on this, I forgot to clean the spiral tube FIRST. GRRR... But I succeeded. I clamped the pipe, minus bowl of course, between two blocks of wood and slowly and carefully bent the shank to what I wanted it to look like. This took several steps, with tiny wood blocks propping the just bent part and moving to the next bend. It worked!
Then on to the cleaning. Sigh, now I know why they make skinny Falcon pipe cleaners. They are really NOT necessary IF one takes care of the pipe. But, this one obviously was not cared for. Pipe cleaner would go in about an inch. Kerosene would drip through the tube, but that is all. I worked with kerosene and hot water for a long time. No luck. So, I unraveled a strand of aircraft cable from a winch cable and used that. It is about 1/16" diameter, probably 7 strands or more of fine steel cable. Now I have a kinky roto-rooter. Lots of twisting and kerosene and twisting and finally I got it through. All kinds of fibers from pipe cleaners, tar, and tobacco shards. What a nasty mess. Then kerosene and cable until that was running clear and then hot soap and water and scrubbing with pipe cleaners until they came out clean. NOW a normal pipe cleaner goes right through.
Present state...
35529045731_f5a35499fc_z_d.jpg

35529055941_dba24d523f_z_d.jpg

34850218133_6576e3017f_z_d.jpg

34850220573_0846638834_z_d.jpg

35619771456_2413be3622_z_d.jpg

Next to ream and clean up the bowl, and pick the remains of the stem out of the shank. I will make/modify a new stem.
We are in the middle of moving, waiting for the house paperwork to complete and this is helping me remain sane. I caught (well re-caught) the pipe virus just recently and am having a ball.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Thanks guys! What a generous offer ashdigger. PM sent. Thanks!
I got the bowl reamed, mostly. I started with the little Chinese reamer and then got brave and broke out the 'Senior' reamer. This is the first time for reaming a bowl too. I decided that working in the kitchen sink was the easiest place to get rid of the carbon as it is dug out. Water... worked well. I got it down to the briar, except for the bottom curve. I think a ball end mill would be easier. LOL Probably use a bit of sandpaper to finish the curve at the bottom of the bowl and touch up the bottom hole. Very carefully, it appears to be sort of important to keeping the tobacco out of the little metal smoke tube.
Then to figure out how to dig out the remaining bits of stem material. Nylon, right? Maybe heat and a sharp scribe tool will work.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
You could see if you can find a screw small enough, and kind of screw it into the hole, then pull it back out. That's how I fixed a pipe with the tenon stuck in the mortise.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, luck needed. I will go slow with a needle point scriber I think. The thing with these is that the bit fits between the metal shank and the metal tube. So, there is very little space around the super thin metal tube. Slowly she goes...

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Problem with a bent Falcon is any pipe cleaner will eventually make a hole in the centre aliminum tube. I prefer straight or a Shillelagh.

I also have issues with the poor briar bowls. I have a Dublin bowl that has the caricteristics of bulsar wood. I can pick the briar with my thumb nail.

I have carved my own pipe and the briar block was as hard as steel.

The company seems to have been bought out several times, you can't even buy direct anymore.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The bit/mouthpiece is the clincher as it is made from nylon and not meant to come off."
Stvalentine, I have heard that said before but of the six Falcon pipes I have, four have easily removable stems and two refuse to budge!
Make of that what you will.
Regards,
Jay.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I bought a section of stainless steel hypodermic tubing from Amazon for repairs. If the spiral tube wears out, it will get replaced with the steel. I think I will order another piece in a slightly larger diameter too, just in case. I actually bought this piece of tubing to line a home made stem for a German Hunter's Pipe I am working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.