PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Recently I purchased a Castello Old Antiquari (KKKK). Up to this point all my pipes had been in the $100 range. The Castello was just a bit shy of $400.
How can you compare a $100 pipe with a $400 pipe? Easy. We make comparisons all the time, and not all are fair comparisons. And this one isn't fair either. But perhaps helpful for others who like me are relatively new smokers and considering how to purchase new pipes.
I now have over a dozen $100 range pipes. The France-made Brigham shown below is a fine pipe. Compared with the Castello, there are a few similarities. They are both quite light weight. Both smoke well. Both feel good in the hand. But that's about it.
Though both are of similar weight, the Castello has a much thicker chamber - it gets its light weight from better briar that is aged longer. Though both smoke well, there is no comparison - the Castello has a far more neutral (perhaps almost sweet but not sweet) flavor compared with the Brigham. And though both feel nice in the hand, the balance of the Castello is far superior. And perhaps most important of all: the aesthetics of the Castello is just perfect. It's a joy to look at, hold, and smoke.
The Brigham at $100 is well worth the price. It's as good as any other pipe I own in that price range - and perhaps better than many others. They know how to make pipes in France. However, with that being said, I have no plans to purchase another $100 pipe. I'll save some money for another Castello. I already have my eye on several. The Castello is just that much better.
So if you are fairly new to smoking and thinking of making the jump to a higher quality pipe - I believe that there truly is a qualitative difference between a $100 pipe and a Castello, and I'm glad I purchased the Castello. If I have any regrets, I just wish I hadn't purchased so many $100 pipes.
Brigham Heritage Series (made in France)

Castello Old Anqiquari (KKKK)

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Andy, i'm glad to hear you have crossed on over to the dark side and now see the light shining through. Castello's are a WONDERFUL transition to the world of high end briars and yours is a great and beautiful example. I completely agree with your statement above, as far as Castello being the one compared. But i will say that there are a number of other supposed "high end" briars in that same price range that will not meet the same criteria as the Castello you are comparing here. I have a Peterson Flame Grain that equals or downright outperforms a couple of my high end burners and a couple other high end briars i have smoked that belonged to friends.
I am (obviously) a Castello fan boy and it was this brand that provided me with my first "aha" moment where i truly saw the "light" of the difference between high end briar and a properly and expertly constructed pipe and a factory made low-mid grade pipe. Castello's simply offer some of the absolute BEST bang for your buck in the pipe world.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Castello's simply offer some of the absolute BEST bang for your buck in the pipe world.
I have no plans at this time to purchase anything other than more Castellos. This Old Antiquari has me sold. I think the next will be a Sea Rock. Just a wonderful pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
andy, I have a Ser Jacopo and now a Ferndown from a generous Forums member. Even before I had those, I wondered if

I should have saved more and had fewer but better pipes. I could sell off pipes and consolidate them into fewer better

pipes. In my own case, I think the variety pays off for some of what I may miss in a larger array of high end pipes. I have

compared the better pipes, not just those two but others that are higher mid-level priced. In some cases, if I didn't know

the pipes, I'd accept that several of the $100 pipes were in the higher range. The engineering is precise, and the design is

excellent. There is a charge (as in excitement) in picking up, packing, and lighting up a really fine pipe. Still, some of the

extra modest pipes -- a Kaywoodie Savoy push bit briar, the ever-popular Dr. Grabow Royalton bulldog, and the Stanwell

32 bulldog, among many others, deliver a first rate smoke on many occasions. Pack them with good leaf and off they go.

The one aspect of your comparison that is challenging is that they are two different systems, with the rock maple inserts in

the Brigham, but mine are all non-filter, fairly open draw, so each pipe rests on its qualities. In your place, I'd stick with

the high end pipes, so you can display them and maintain them and enjoy them. Neither approach is a bad choice.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I want to add a Castello to my collection one day. I am a big fan of rusticated pipes and a Castello Sea Rock is, in my mind, the best looking rustication out there.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I like this asymmetric review. We often hear the story of the godlike qualities of a random basket pipe but it's probably important to remember that those occurrences are far between. It would seem to me that, more often than not, a good smoke must come down to the consistency that a good brand can bring. So far I have mostly smoked Savinellis, Pertersons and Stanwells; this has got me excited to break in my newly acquired unsmoked estate sea rock Canadian! It sounds like I'm in for a treat!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
drezz01- the brands you mention are the ones that I too have purchased the most of - especially Petes.
I think you're in for a treat with the Sea Rock. After you've had a chance to smoke the Canadian, please post an update on this thread - I'll be interested to see if you are as impressed with the difference between the brands you and I typically purchase and your castello.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I certainly will do! Though I don't plan on smoking it until the spring as I can't smoke in my apartment and I'm afraid to break it in when it's freezing out!

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
This is the same light bulb situation I experienced. Anyone who's honest will come to the same conclusion if they give a good quality pipe a chance. Some people are put off by price and I get that. I shit when I paid $100 for a pipe. It turns out that it was the same as the $75 pipe. So I kept going up the ladder till I got to Dunhill, Ashton, Castello, Ser Jacopo, Rad Davis etc. Then I got it finally and wished I hadn't spent so much money on cheap pipes I could have more quality smokers. Eh, live and learn.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I am all about quality over quantity. I am working on my 7 day set of large bent bulldogs by fine English makers. So far I have a Ferndown and waiting on a Northern Briars.

Status
Not open for further replies.