PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

This pipe beckoned to me, and, even when I'd passed by, kept whispering to me, until I could no longer ignore it - So now he resides at my house.
Jason-Pipes-3-November_0003_jason-meershaum1-before.jpg

Jason-Pipes-3-November_0001_jason-meershaum3-after.jpg

For a time we sat and stared at each other, and communed. We debated leaving him be, as he was quite happy, or, sprucing him up, at the risk of losing his soul.
We sat, late into the night, night after night. Then, we came to a conclusion, and trust was a large part of the decision.
So, I placed him on two match sticks on top of my wood burning stove, to heat through for 45 minutes or so. Then I removed him and carefully rubbed him all over with a block of wax, which he eagerly absorbed. Then I put him back on the stove.
This was repeated over the course of an evening until he could no longer take anymore, at which point I removed him from the heat and let him cool. Once he was cool to the touch, I very, very carefully rubbed him to a shine with a Terry-Towelling cloth. For his beard I needed a brush, a tooth brush, lightly brushing to a beautiful sheen.
Jason-Pipes-3-November_0003_jason-meershaum1.jpg

Jason-Pipes-3-November_0004_jason-meershaum4.jpg

Jason-Pipes-3-November_0001_jason-meershaum3.jpg

Jason-Pipes-3-November_0002_jason-meershaum2.jpg

The stem, a beautiful piece of birch, was waxed to a beautiful deep red gloss, and the bit, with its gorgeous Orific draft hole, was polished to a lustrous shine.
When all was done, we sat, and we looked at each other. I smiled, and, I swear, He smiled back.
He is home.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Looks great klause. You have inspired me to tackle the a meer I have sitting around. Its been smoked on and off before me for 54 years or so, but has a patina similar to yours in the before pictures. Hopefully, I get the same results.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
This is a great transformation! I hope it keeps most of its colour. Gorgeous!

K

klause

Thanks, Gents - I appreciate the comments.
Jason, give it a whirl - you will see the colour change right before your eyes - it's almost magical. And, I'd be interested in seeing the results when you're done.

May 31, 2012
Jason-Pipes-3-November_0002_jason-meershaum2.jpg

Jason-Pipes-3-November_0001_jason-meershaum3.jpg

Great photos
Wow!
Looks great,

he got the full spa treatment and it did wonders for him!
The grace of age,

that fella looks very wise,

open eyes

smilin' wide.
Another well done job,

you should turn pro!
Most excellent work.
:clap:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
If you're having debates and discussions with your pipe you might be smoking the wrong stuff ...
Pipe looks beautiful. I'm not a fan of carved meer pipes, but it looks very cool.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
And, I'd be interested in seeing the results when you're done.
klause, I did the treatment last night. I was less impressed with the results. Not sure if my Kaywoodie Meer is a good grade of meerschaum or not as it did not change its look much at all. It may have darkened a little, but not as much as my other meers did.

I may give it another treatment later.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Well, that is just beautiful! It makes me begin to doubt my habitual "I will only color my meers by smoking them" stance. I know the pipes I have that have nice coloring give me a real sense of pride, of having EARNED that loveliness without artificial aid. But I gotta say smoking a pipe that great looking would be nice, too.

K

klause

Jason, I've had that same problem twice - both times were with African meers. they just took on a slightly darker shade, but buffed up to a nice shine. With the others I have done the colour literally appeared before my eyes as i applied the wax. Still, it can do no harm to wax 'em - it sets them up for the next 100 years ;-)
CmdBragg - thanks. I'm not a fan of figurals myself - they usually look like mannequins or worse - up till now I only had the one (in my avatar), but this is a touch above the average, I think, so couldn't let it pass. The simplicity of the stem and bit only add to its appeal.
Troy, I appreciate you comments, mate - thanks. I think his demeanour has changed alright - for the better - thats my good deed done for the year!
Cortez, you're absolutely right. This pipe has certainly earned it's magnificent colour - I'd say at least a 100+ years of smoking has gone into this beauty, and it wears its new clothes well. But, I think I'll leave the spermaceti to the hard core meer fans ;-)

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
+1 cortez Beeswax doesn't color the Meer, it just brings out the hard earned color that's already there. Beautiful pipe, by the way.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
The artwork on meers is one of those things that separates pipers in a hurry :D Great looking beard and color.

I am not a fan of the arabic designs but I love the really great carving of actual figures. Much like the Old Cajuns Frog Meer. Kind of like getting to have your art and smoke it too! :wink:

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
That's a gorgeous pipe, even more so after the treatments. Can you post photos of the stem and bit after polishing?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
An older thread revived. That is a beautiful pipe and the waxing enhanced it beauty. Well done Klause. :clap:

pipinho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2013
I have had similar experiences. When i buy an old meer of the 'bay,i make sure that I give it a good waxing for 2 reasons. 1) IMHO the wax acts like an epoxy and helps with the strength of the meer (again only my opinion), 2) it definitely (again IMHO) helps with the coloring. BTW, isn't it shocking how much wax a "dry" meer can absorb? You can feel the weight of the wax after several coats. I also found that slowly heating up the pipe and then brushing melted wax on it helps the pipe absorb the wax more readily. Now this is going to be controversial... When i by old estate meers that feel "dry" I make sure i wax them, i have cracked brand new (never smoke) vintage meers when i didn't wax them. Again this goes to my theory about the wax helping with the structural integrity of meer. Just my 2 cents.

K

klause

Pipinho, I agree completely.
I've had meer's that are chalky to touch after years and years of use and NO waxing. A bit of wax, and they are almost good as new. The difference is like night and day, as you can see in the before and after pictures, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.