An Old Friend Sent Me This Bottle of Stuff... What Is It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Yes, I generally prefer the twelve year version of this unknown substance as well.
Now, if it is an option for the 12 vs. a Caol Ila Distiller's Edition or Laphroag Lore or even an Ardbeg 10, then that 12 will not even make my list. Don't get me wrong, I am glad I have a bottle of the 12, but that will be on the shelf far longer than the others listed.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
George, on reflection I think it’s not entirely fair if you give me your dreck cherished bottle and receive nothing comparable in return. I’ve therefore dug deeply into my personal cellar and would be happy to offer you any of the following in exchange. I’d have to check with my wine steward of course, but by odd coincidence I believe the vintage in each case is Tuesday.

9BFFA896-7E7E-4889-89E1-ED6E4B87F1DC.jpeg
958ED302-3232-4E4D-A553-52CD8E953752.jpeg
ED67AD9D-9933-4D7E-A924-6C36980C8F01.jpeg
22BB50E5-071B-40C8-863C-1ED63F124B58.jpeg
97743287-11A2-44D8-A61A-10903620E2D5.jpeg

958ED302-3232-4E4D-A553-52CD8E953752.jpeg
I am pretty sure that this was rebranded as Captain Black Grape. puffy

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not even sure what the difference is between a Scottish person and a British person.

One can say "Purple burglar alarm" and the other can't:

Another giveaway is one of them likes walking around with a cat clamped under his arm while chewing on its tail. I shit you not.

Whole groups of 'em do it at the same time while wearing fancy duds, in fact:

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Sixteen-year-old Scotch, eh? Seeing that bottle reminds me of a story about the late humorist Frank Sullivan, as told by Corey Ford in his book The Time of Laughter:

"Sullivan is capable of a little play-acting of his own. During an illness in New York, his friend Joe Bryan sent him a bottle of twelve-year-old Scotch. Weeks passed without any word of thanks, and at last, Bryan, encountering him in '109' one evening, asked meekly if he'd ever received the gift. 'Look, Bryan,' Sullivan said testily, 'I was sick. In bed! Do you give your sick friends twelve-year-old flowers? Do you offer them twelve-year-old candy? If you want any thanks for me, send me fresh whiskey.'"

• Haha
Reactions: timelord

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Indeed.

I knew Scottish guys were tough... I mean, they chose Sean Connery to play James Bond when they could have had anybody, right?---but I never dreamed anyone could carry a grudge for 800 years.

I sure am glad I outsmarted 'em!

I bet jguss will be happy too when he learns I was going to send the bottle to him.
Only 800 years? That's like, yesterday...

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
One can say "Purple burglar alarm" and the other can't:

Another giveaway is one of them likes walking around with a cat clamped under his arm while chewing on its tail. I shit you not.

Whole groups of 'em do it at the same time while wearing fancy duds, in fact:

Best description of a Bagpipe I've seen (it was posted in this forum a couple of years ago by Jay):

Bagpipes - as reported by Cree Indian

Reading on about the fur trading industry of North West Canada I came across a Cree Native describing to his chief his first experience of a bagpipe player....

"One white man was dressed like a woman, in a skirt of funny colour. He had whiskers growing from his belt and fancy leggings. He carried a black swan which had many legs with ribbons tied to them. The swan's body he put under his arm upside down, then he put its head in his mouth and bit it. At the same time he pinched its neck with his fingers and squeezed its body under his arm until it made a terrible noise."

• Haha
Reactions: ThermionicScott

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Some of you will be surprised (and others disappointed) to learn I actually do know what the mysterious bottled stuff is.

And while I rarely drink even beer, never mind whiskey, I actually do like the taste of some kinds of it. And definitely appreciate the elevated examples.

The whole Islay "peaty" thing works for me, too. Go figure.

Anyway, after having some fun with this thread I thought I'd close it with a mention of what it actually will be used for.

One of my longtime best friends recently received a "You are free and clear" lab test result after a protracted fight against a major health issue, and GPS (Good Peaty Scotch) is something he both loves and hasn't been able to enjoy for a long time.

So, an afternoon of good tobacco and whiskey to celebrate reaching the end of that dark tunnel seems the logical thing to do.

Onward, right?

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 6.11.42 PM.png

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
On my 21st birthday, a friend of mine got me a box of 6 airplane bottles. On the box it said "Classic Single Malt" or something close. All of them were great, but Lagavulin outshined them all. Used to swim in it until the damned yuppies got the wind of it jack up the prices. Evil bastards.

Reactions: ChonkyTonks