PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
...didja ever bid on something and not really want it that badly?
I was sure I would have gotten outbid on this, but I didn't.
I'd recently missed out on a Dunhill Shell cleaning brush from Hermit and this little kit kinda grabbed my gonads, but dammit, I'm not really sure that I actually need it.
Am I a total sucker?
Be honest.
LOL
I don't know what's wrong with me.
I paid around $50 shipped.
If I decide I don't want to keep it, do you think I could possibly make my money back?
I won't know until I actually have it in hand, it might win me over, another goofy artifact to consummate dust breeding...
NGr96zR.jpg

LQslXxr.jpg

FGXrhxW.jpg

JWol5UK.jpg

5HmLbgz.jpg

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
That's excellent, I'll say you got a bargain. You dont have to need something to want it!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
You got off light. I have probably a half dozen pipes I "won" that I did not really want. Thay looked like good deals at the price so I put in bids thinking they wouldn't hold up, but they did! I still haven't learned the lesson completely, but I am a bit better under control.

May 31, 2012
I was pretty stunned.
Woke up this morning and noticed I needed to "pay for 1 item".
It's on its way from England.
£ signs always somehow seem cheaper than $ signs,

but they sure ain't!

LOL

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
That is a great set,I love this sort of stuff! I've been avoiding ebay, had I seen that it would have gone for more than fifty. 8O

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I would love to own that. If you decided you didn't want it I would be happy to pay what you paid for it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think it's cool and worth having just to have it. A neat conversation piece and, I'm sure, something that would be coveted by Dunhill collectors.

May 31, 2012
About 3 hours ago I noticed an LB listing from Judd Perl, it was actually a good price for an older LB and it carried the distinction and provenance of being from the Loring collection...
...I very nearly pulled the trigger, hellbent with chubby lust and convinced I had this acquisition window moment from some sort of serendipity because of the cleaning kit LOL
I flipped,

I flopped.
I went and looked at Lorings collection and couldn't find that exact pipe, but it was an LB 8 -- which is interesting, the rim looked crisp and bowl innards well-preserved, the blast was mesmerizing, made to look even more sensuous in the low lighting...
...I kept refreshing the page, hoping somebody would buy it and put me outta my misery, my internal sturm-und-drang was peaking at heavy throttle...
...thankfully, I resisted.

And I'm proud of myself, it was a rare moment were I had the budget available and I'd always wanted an old LB --- but why did I want an LB, just because they look cool? They do look cool. And they seem to be one of the most sought-after shapes of Dunhill collectors --- but I don't really like heavy pipes, an average LB weighs in at around 60g and I visualized the pipe on my rack, just sitting on my rack as a keen artifact, but not really something I'd be drawn to smoke every other day...
...I rationalized that perhaps my nearly $300 would be much better spent with an American pipemaker, that's been my focus lately, this was however, one of those rare instances with me where intellect actually triumphed over emotion, usually my heart is the boss LOL
Judd's 1929 Dunhill LB Shell Pipe From Loring Collection
Dammit!

Why didn't I buy that bad boy?!?!?!?

Kicking myself still!

LOL

:wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That cleaning kit is the cats meow. I bet you could easily recoup your investment if it were listed correctly.

I don't aspire to many straight billiards, but an LB is definitely on that list. A '29 at under $300 would be pretty tempting.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Misterlc:
That Dunhill cleaning kit is fabulous and, like Al wrote, should go for a damned sight more properly described.
The DH fetishists out there will eat that kit up with a spoon if you opt to pass it along.
Very nice score.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.