PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
So your theory is that because the cake softens/"opens" when getting hot more tar/nicotine/chemicals settles into the cake, the cake cools down and "closes" again, but those chemicals are still in the cake and have a longer effect on the material? Sounds plausible to me. Interesting experiment!

The cake might have a maximum on how much residue it can absorb and that's why Didimauws one tasted rancid. I think you'll run into a risk when the cake "opens" and there is to many residue it might seep into the tobacco your smoking at that moment and make it taste funny...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So your theory is that because the cake softens/"opens" when getting hot more tar/nicotine/chemicals settles into the cake, the cake cools down and "closes" again, but those chemicals are still in the cake and have a longer effect on the material? Sounds plausible to me. Interesting experiment!

The cake might have a maximum on how much residue it can absorb and that's why Didimauws one tasted rancid. I think you'll run into a risk when the cake "opens" and there is to many residue it might seep into the tobacco your smoking at that moment and make it taste funny...
A warm water flush would have taken care of the taste. But I've been under the impression that cake equals no color. That's the only reason I scrape my meer bowls.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Also was going to ask this too. Which thread am I following? Lol
I went ahead and started a new thread, so this one can be used as originally intended.

You are very welcome to post your updates Embers if you want to. It was your idea after all, and you probably smoke a lot more per day than I do.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm going to give it a go. When cake is heated, it softens. That may be what is being absorbed and being meticulously clean with them is taking away the opportunity to do so.
And dealing with the pipe for a while. I think the issue with cake in a meer and cracking has more to do with reaming then anything else. In fact I've heard that given as why not to build cake in a meer. But my little billiard pipe (I just realized it might be named that because you can clench it while playing without getting in the way) colors noticeably and without fading per smoke and didn't really start showing any color change at all till the cake showed up. So long story short I am pretty stoked about your experiment. Especially since I've suspected the same thing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
They used a "tobacco plug" which, if I understand correctly, is just that they keep the wet dottle in the bottom of the chamber like a plug, and leave it there for every smoke.
nah it actually just ghost the pipe hard. Or at least that's been my experience with trying it. Like it seeps the flavor upwards somehow and seems to actually just taste more and more like the original tobacco used then whatever you smoke through it. It does get a weird kind hardish semi cake type of fusion thing happening. I know cause I had one pipe that the dottle would not tap out and it triggered my stubborn side. Like oh you want to stay then you can stay!!! Once it was cleared out left a really strange ghost that was incredibly strong for a few smokes and then would be absent for 90 percent of the smoke and then show up one hundred percent and then ten smokes later it never came back. Though maybe it was just that tobacco in that pipe that one time.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
nah it actually just ghost the pipe hard. Or at least that's been my experience with trying it. Like it seeps the flavor upwards somehow and seems to actually just taste more and more like the original tobacco used then whatever you smoke through it. It does get a weird kind hardish semi cake type of fusion thing happening. I know cause I had one pipe that the dottle would not tap out and it triggered my stubborn side. Like oh you want to stay then you can stay!!! Once it was cleared out left a really strange ghost that was incredibly strong for a few smokes and then would be absent for 90 percent of the smoke and then show up one hundred percent and then ten smokes later it never came back. Though maybe it was just that tobacco in that pipe that one time.
I wonder why they even did it if it doesn't work? It may just be superstition, or the practice of putting some kind of button like thing in the bowl. But I don't think that it will be the best smoking experience possible, since a clean pipe tastes a bit better than a soggy one.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I wonder why they even did it if it doesn't work? It may just be superstition, or the practice of putting some kind of button like thing in the bowl. But I don't think that it will be the best smoking experience possible, since a clean pipe tastes a bit better than a soggy one.
oh I meant I don't think it would necessarily get nasty.

I wish I could remember the guy's name but a few years ago, we had a member who posted this smooth bent egg or maybe a blowfish... anyways, he had posted in progress pics, and it had these beautiful splotchy colorations come up on the sides of the bowl, and it had a mottled cloud-like formation. I haven't seen one color quite like his. I wish that I could remember a name or something to search for it by. Seems like he was on a beach or something. Anyways, I haven't seen another one color quite like his did.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Tobacco back then couldn't be much different from what it is now? Either they smoked their pipes a lot more, or they made the pipes differently, or they were precolored in some way. I don't know what else to think about it.
Let me suggest this, they only had one pipe they smoked.

A man who smoked a beautiful, artfully carved, expensive meerschaum pipe wasn’t slaving all day long in the Van Leer Coal mines, or chasing the tails of horses plowing fields.

I own a soft leather briefcase I bought in 1985, and it shines like a burnished copper penny.

It’s served me well for 37 years, and still has life to go.:)

What if I’d smoked exactly one fancy meerschaum for 37 years?