PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
^ That skull is what Embers calls a clencher. For hiking, gardening, and general lunting.

Do we know what became of that massive block of meer? Where did you get the pic? I'm assuming it got cut up to make several pipes from.
Nah, thats probably Embers next commission. He is sick of these tiny pipes like his skull... those are for babies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So we need someone with spreadsheet experience, that can log all of this useless information with all of our pictures and future updates lol.

#bowls?
Chamber size?
Tobacco plug?
Cake? No cake?
Wax added?
Coin in chamber?
Washer in chamber?
Coloring bowl?
Full moon?

You know, for Science......

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Another thing to keep in mind is that 100 years ago, meerschaum pipes were coated with sperm whale oil instead of beeswax - that would also make a difference in how they color.

Reactions: Deano and MCJ

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
So to get the authentic meerschaum coloring you are suggesting I have to give a 'hand party' to a fecking Whale at my local aquarium? How does that work?
Depends, how dedicated are you, really, to authentic meerschaum coloring??? This separates the dilettantes from the “real” pipe smokers. 😂😂😂😂

I’m afraid I fail, lol. I’m cool with just smoking the damn thing and letting it color as it wants.

For those more dedicated, videos or it didn’t happen 😂

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I don't think this question was asked already in this thread (forgive me if it has), but is it just me or has anyone else noticed that antique meerschaum cheroot pipes almost always seem to have a very deep coloration? If so, wouldn't that go against the vote for building thick cake as best way to color meers (since cheroot pipes hold all the tobacco in the end cap/holder and not in the main body of the pipe, so presumably no cake is building up there)? Maybe it does all go back to back sperm whale oil... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Deano