PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Hi,
I found this very special Ser Jacopo Historica 2020 Pulchra Smooth Bent Apple Sitter with Silver (19). It's a 9mm pipe, which all my pipes now are. A very difficult pipe to find anywhere and I love SJ, but I'm struggling with the price $656, MSRP $820. Just thought I'd share. Damn you SP for the email. Lol

Attachments

• 20200511_162325.jpg
    20200511_162325.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 20200511_162248.jpg
    20200511_162248.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 106
Jun 9, 2018
England
That sure is one beautiful pipe, I love the honeycomb style pattern on the stem. I have a pipe like that, (a mortar that sadly broke?) and it does look amazing.
I know what you mean about the whole 9mm situation as well, some makers produce very few pipes in a 9mm option. For instance I've never seen a Costello 9mm pipe, and as far as I'm aware they don't make them.
Anyway, lovely pipe?.

Reactions: crazyhog

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Taste is personal, that pipe doesn't do much for me. I also wouldn't pay a high price for a factory made pipe no matter what they labeled it. Not trying to diss on your parade, I believe you were asking for objective opinions to help you make your decisions so I provided my uncensored, uncut version.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I honestly feel that if I made this purchase, I would have a difficult time smoking her. I know I would be totally OCD handling her. For me, it would be like buying a 2020 911 Turbo and putting 15k miles a year on it. No way! I wish I could try her out and find out if she smokes magically and goes beyond just her beauty. :)

Oct 7, 2016
Personally, I would look for an original of any remake in the Historica series. All of these remakes are of pipes that were made by Giancarlo Guidi before his 2012 death. Original ones are out there, including unsmoked examples, and they have shown up on eBay. Steve Fallon sold an original unsmoked “Dome”, later remade as a Historica pipe, a few months back. If we ever have pipe shows again, I bet you could find one there. Patience pays.
But that is a gorgeous pipe, and personally I don’t care if it came from an artisan working in a workshop or one working in a “studio.” And Ser Jacopos silver work is truly first rate, though now some of the Pesaro region Ser Jacopo alumni have adopted Guidi’s proprietary technology.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Personally, I would look for an original of any remake in the Historica series. All of these remakes are of pipes that were made by Giancarlo Guidi before his 2012 death. Original ones are out there, including unsmoked examples, and they have shown up on eBay. Steve Fallon sold an original unsmoked “Dome”, later remade as a Historica pipe, a few months back. If we ever have pipe shows again, I bet you could find one there. Patience pays.
But that is a gorgeous pipe, and personally I don’t care if it came from an artisan working in a workshop or one working in a “studio.” And Ser Jacopos silver work is truly first rate, though now some of the Pesaro region Ser Jacopo alumni have adopted Guidi’s proprietary technology.
Thanks, you sure know your Ser Jacopos!

Oct 7, 2016
Thanks, you sure know your Ser Jacopos!
The coral dot Ser Jacopos (not Modica’s, which have a coralish looking dot and are made by Ser Jacopo but are fortunately stamped Modica) stand a chance of actually having been carved by Guidi himself. The detail in some of the silverwork is incredible. Many eBay sellers don’t know how to use a polishing cloth, don’t realize what they have, and let them go cheap. Were it not for my preexisting Castello addiction, I would have a rack of Ser Jacopos.

Oct 7, 2016
Hey, a rare occasion where I disagree with Hoosier. Ser Jacopo makes fine pipes that, as far as I know, are no more a factory pipe than Dunhill, Charatan, or Castello. I think it’s a lovely pipe. As for price, that’s a very personal choice.
And even Les Woods didn’t do silverwork like some of Ser Jacopos more detailed pieces.

Reactions: sandollars

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For most of us, going high end is a financial decision. Where else would that money go, and which is more important? Obviously, there are folks who get to the place where pipes at any price have little impact on their income, but they have a different decision to make about where a vast surplus belongs. Personally, I wouldn't want to get to the place where I'd have a separate insurance rider on tobacco pipes, but I'm not headed there. That is a magnificent pipe. Not in that league, but worth considering, is their Gapetto (sp?) series. My one SJ was bought on sale from SP about six years ago; what a deal.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I was doing some homework looking through some old posts and saw this. I purchased that “Dome” Pipe from Steve. Incredible pipe, and pretty big. It remains in my unsmoked collection of one of a kind pipes. It's a piece of history.

Steve provided some info on it: A piece Guidi called “The DOME.” A Coral Dot era Rare L3 Maxima. Made shortly after Ser Jacopo founding in 1983, the originality of this piece is attested by the true coral dot surrounded by a silver circle stem logo. The replicas have the silver J stem logo that was adopted in 1997.

Have not seen one since. Any Ser Jacopo collectors out there?

Oct 7, 2016
Great to see such a fine specimen ended up with someone who appreciates its history. Giancarlo Guidi was a multi faceted genius.

Reactions: boston

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Hey, a rare occasion where I disagree with Hoosier. Ser Jacopo makes fine pipes that, as far as I know, are no more a factory pipe than Dunhill, Charatan, or Castello. I think it’s a lovely pipe. As for price, that’s a very personal choice.
I agree. I have several Ser Jacopo pipes and find their fit, finish and smokeability to be top notch. Clearly a high end pipe manufacturer. They also tend to be large—not embers large—but not something to clench while puttering around in the shop.

Reactions: boston

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I agree. I have several Ser Jacopo pipes and find their fit, finish and smokeability to be top notch. Clearly a high end pipe manufacturer. They also tend to be large—not embers large—but not something to clench while puttering around in the shop.
The one I showed in the pic is massive (to me). Much larger bowl capacity than I have in any other of my pipes. But, it's very beautiful.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker