Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orophin1990

Lurker
Jan 6, 2020
England
Today I tried blending tobacco for the first time- frankly, it was this that spurred me to join.

I have smoked a pipe regularly but infrequently for about eight years now. After years of Borkum Riff Cavendish, I tasted Squadron Leader and that was the end of that- I want English blends.

In my search for new English blends, I made an error. I misremembered the name of a tobacco and ended up with 50g of Rattray’s Hal o’ the Wynd- a well respected tobacco, but a Virginia blend and not the Latakia-laden deliciousness I was looking for.

I had a bowl full, and was unimpressed. I have had pure Virginia tobaccos which I have enjoyed, with gorgeous hay and dried fruit notes, but generally find them uninspiring when compared to VaPers or English blends. Frankly, as a full-time cigarette smoker I find they taste like an excellent cigarette- they don’t offer much beyond what I was already getting.

Hal o’ the Wynd is unfortunately no exception. I find it one-dimensional. So, thinks I, I’ll try my hand at some blending and see if I can liven it up.

I ordered 15g each of McConnell Oriental Turkish blend and Gawith Hogarth’s Cyprus Latakia no.7. I put them both in a sandwich bag with the Rattray’s, and made the weight up to 100g with some Borkum Riff Black Cavendish I had laying around.

So roughly:
50% Hal o’ the Wynd
15% McConnell Oriental Turkish
15% Gawith Hogarth’s Cyprus Latakia no.7
20% Borkum Riff Black Cavendish

I gave the bag a good shake, squeezed all the air out, squashed it all together as tightly as possible, and put the bag in my tobacco jar.

I’m currently quitting the little paper tubes, and don’t intend to touch tobacco at all for a few months. Come summer, this should make a lovely evening smoke. We’ll see how it turns out...

Last edited:

Orophin1990

Lurker
Jan 6, 2020
England
I had my first bowl of this last night, and I’ve done a fairly good job here! The Latakia wasn’t as assertive as I expected, but it’s definitely there. I can also taste some sour, musty notes from the Turkish.

I can see why people refer to these as “condiment tobaccos”, too. They oddly seem to have brought out more of the characteristics of the virginias, like salt in cooking.

I’m also pleased to report that the Cavendish hasn’t caused any nasty tongue biting tendencies, either, providing you keep the cadence low. And the smoke does have a sort of “thick” feeling to it- which I’m told is something Cavendish adds to a blend, hence me adding it to this one.

All in all, I’m quite pleased with this for a first blending attempt. It’s not award-winning by any stretch, but I’ve ended up with a very pleasant “light English”.

Status
Not open for further replies.