PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Greetings, all!
Like many others, I love the Dunhill LC shape. I understand that they are pretty difficult to come by, and even then, they are very pricey. I know of a few modern day carvers who make their own versions, and they are very beautiful...but that route is still a little above my budget at the moment. Does anybody know of any runs from other brands that make a similar shape? I know there is the Peterson Rathbone and XL20 which are based somewhat on the LC, and while I do love those shapes, they don't quite scratch the same itch.
Thank you!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A seller at the NY show had a 1920's LC, $1500 was the asking price.
I can't recall any other shape with the exact swan-neck shank as the LC. A Dunhill shape 120 is about as close as it gets and they are much more attainable.
adult image host
Personally, I think the older Peterson 69 shape is closer to the LC than the XL20.
peteso_x69-69.jpg

Sasieni Viscount Lascelles also are in that shape range, but they can be a bit dear as well (probably on average, a little higher than a 120)
photo hosting sites

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
W O W ! Are all those yours? Those are all beautiful. Thanks for the pictures. I really like the 120, although, as I imagined, it still just isn't quite right haha. It sure is close enough when comparing prices though! Thanks again for the great shots and information!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I had a great little 1926 Dunhill 120, I sold it for $300+. It was on the small side, probably a group 2. They are a great shape.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I'll be keeping my eye open then for a 120. I think that's as close as I'll be getting for a while, and that isn't too bad of a settle! Very nice looking pipes indeed.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Wow guys, fantastic looking pipes. I'm surprised as I personally haven't seen many like these, so I figured they were pretty rare. I guess I'm just not looking in the right places!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
There are bent pipes and there are swan neck pipes. If you want the swan neck of an LC at an affordable price, then this may be your pipe: http://www.4noggins.com/Ben-Wade-Calabash-c.1970.aspx
Actually, $135 for an estate specimen is high. Keep your eyes on eBay. These show up pretty regularly.
By the way, I think the Peterson Rathbone's shape is best described as Dead Swan Neck. I like Peterson pipes, but I won't pretend the Rathbone pays honest homage to the LC.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Here's another nice resource on the LC: http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/infos/dunhillLC-comp.html

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Some great looking pipes here everyone, you guts are on FIRE! I don't own a LC. Sasieni Viscount Lascelles, yes. A WDC just like Mr. Orley's, yes. Comoy's shape 42, yes. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.