PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Some of you know that I am an unabashed fan of the late author Ray Bradbury. Several years ago I happened upon this video (An Evening With Ray Bradbury) of a talk which he gave to a writers group at Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego, California in 2001. Mr. Bradbury (who passed at 91) was 81 years old at the time, but his love for, and enthusiasm about, his craft was still abounding, and his mind sharp (notice that he spoke without notes!).
I watched this again this evening, and now would like to share it with my fellow Bradbury devotees here on the Forums. Enjoy!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One of my favorite memories is working with Ray on Something Wicked This Way Comes. We collaborated on a new opening for the film. When we first met I called him Mr Bradbury and he stopped me and insisted that I call him Ray. I would draw what were referred to as inspiration sketches and send them to Ray and he would shoot thoughts back. We had this back and forth for a month before we locked the sequence. Ray wrote the voice over that opens the picture and I went with a second unit to Vermont to shoot Fall exteriors for my matte paintings.
A special treat happened on my birthday. The production company threw a party luncheon at the Disney lot for me and Ray came to the event. We talked for a few hours about a lot of different things.
Really just a joy to work with.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I must say, I just watched the video and the man really does make you want to write something, even if it turns out badly, but just write something. The man had a passion for writing and the world around him, that's for sure.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Killer link, Hunter. Ray Bradbury will always be one of my favorite writers and, the hell of it is, I never cared that much for science fiction, but, there you go.
Jesse, I'll be got to hell. You worked with Mr. Ray Bradbury and you smoke William Conrad's Charatans? Radio's Matt Dillon? You have the option everyday of smoking an elegant pre-dawn of mankind Barling or Gunsmoke's Marshall Matt Dillon's sweaty, gnarly, DNA grayed out, chewed up to hell and gone, beat to shit, Charatan glove box pipe?
I gotta' call foul, here.
LMAO,
Fnord

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Jesse, I'll be got to hell. You worked with Mr. Ray Bradbury and you smoke William Conrad's Charatans? Radio's Matt Dillon? You have the option everyday of smoking an elegant pre-dawn of mankind Barling or Gunsmoke's Marshall Matt Dillon's sweaty, gnarly, DNA grayed out, chewed up to hell and gone, beat to shit, Charatan glove box pipe?
Don't feel bad fnord. I'm jealous too! :lol:
I love Sci-fi and Bradbury is a cornerstone of the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.