PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Just received this tiny Sasieni (5 ins length). I didn't read the full description when I pressed the "buy" button !

"Sasieni with fish" in cursive script over "London Made" (so family era pipe). "R" at the end of the shank. No other nomenclature nor dot(s) to be found.
I'm positive the stem is original.

The Sasieni entry in Pipedia has a photo showing "Ladies Pipes" and I'm sure this is one.
Any Sasieni fans who can shed further light on this pipe ?

Photographed together with a very similarly shaped 1960 Dunhill TN F/T to show relative size.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Interesting. I've never seen the "R" stamp. Also, why are you positive the stem is original? Sasieni inserted rods to create the dots, so they won't buff off.

Reactions: OzPiper

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
Very nice pipe! I have seen the R in early pipes before. However I can’t tell you much past that. I don’t know what it’s meaning is. The stem I would not believe it to be original to the pipe. That fact doesn’t for a minute take anything away
From this pipe. Fantastic pipe!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Very nice pipe! I have seen the R in early pipes before. However I can’t tell you much past that. I don’t know what it’s meaning is. The stem I would not believe it to be original to the pipe. That fact doesn’t for a minute take anything away
From this pipe. Fantastic pipe!
I’ve seen the R on London made orliks too - do you know if either of these marquees “xxxxx” out their nomenclature for sales reps etc in the way charatan did?

Reactions: mingc

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Just received this tiny Sasieni (5 ins length). I didn't read the full description when I pressed the "buy" button !

"Sasieni with fish" in cursive script over "London Made" (so family era pipe). "R" at the end of the shank. No other nomenclature nor dot(s) to be found.
I'm positive the stem is original.

The Sasieni entry in Pipedia has a photo showing "Ladies Pipes" and I'm sure this is one.
Any Sasieni fans who can shed further light on this pipe ?

Photographed together with a very similarly shaped 1960 Dunhill TN F/T to show relative size.View attachment 96979View attachment 96980View attachment 96981
So, I know sasieni made several items like ladies pipes and cigarette holders, but they all had dots (fishtail logo era). I didn’t find anything on the web to indicate different. I’ll be following the post to see how the experts chime in.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I don't know what the "R" might signify. but the pipe and it's nomenclature are in great condition. The florid Sasieni pipes weren't stamped with "Four Dot", "Eight Dot" etc. That occurred around 1945.

As for the second line stems, some had a shield logo with an S, or a letter, or nothing at all.

I do recall seeing the "R" stamping some years back though.

Reactions: OzPiper and Ahi Ka