PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
As someone who has not been a huge fan of traditional VaPers, consider me converted. I purchased a tin of Escudo a few weeks ago and was floored by how good it is. The spice is certainly present, but it is rather mild. I like perique as a light condiment only. But what really surprised me was the sweetness and lack of bite. For me this is quite a find, since the sweet virginias I enjoy the most tend to bite (darn reds!). I can't imagine not stocking up on this blend. Could easily become a favorite!

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
It's definitely a favorite of mine. I probably smoke Escudo more often than any other blends I have.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Escudo is my favorite. Have more in the cellar than anything else. Love it to death.
Been working on acquiring some Cope's Escudo except it seems to go for a pretty penny. Best I've picked up is some A&C.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
future, glad to hear you are a convert. I began smoking Escudo in 2000 and it is still a favorite. You should also try Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. It looks exactly like Escudo and some people think it is the same blend, but to my tastes it is sweeter and less peppery. When I am in the mood for a vaper that is not too spicy, I go for that. Another great vaper to me is the Solani 633. That has a top note of honey which I really enjoy. It is also one of the few vapers that has the Perique get stronger the older it gets. Escudo gets less peppery and creamy the longer it ages and the Solani becomes a pepper spice bomb the older it gets. I haves some 2002 Solani that is very spicy. It ages like the original Three Nuns with Perique as that also gets more peppery the older it gets. My oldest Escudo is from 2001 and I also have some 2008 tins. The 2001 turns jet black after a decade. Also if you wait for PC to have their buy 3 get one free Dunhill deals, you can get the Navy Rolls cheap. Last time they had that deal, I bought 24 tins and it worked out to 7.99 a tin, tough to beat that deal.
Jordan, I honestly cannot tell much difference if at all between the AC Peterson Escudo and the newer stuff.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I bought my first tin a couple of months ago, and it's lovely stuff... I think that's what I'll ring in the weekend with tomorrow, as a matter of fact! :puffpipe:

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I didn't notice a major difference in the switch from A&C to Stokkebeye to be honest. It is a favorite if not my #1 favorite.
Would love to try some Cope's but I'm not spending $250 on a can of tobacco.
I also would like to try the Peter Heinrich's Curley Block. It looks like Escudo in plug form. Would have to order from overseas:
1-9099-2-peter-heinrichs-curly-block-250_1_5_zpsda086e58.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've only had the Cope's version -- back in the days before I discovered that perique gave me problems -- and, according to my notes, it was "nice and sweet. Very good." :) Sorry, that was in my very early days as a pipe smoker and I was pretty clueless about how to describe what I was smoking! According to my tobacco journal, I preferred it slightly over Three Nuns. . . but that was in 1983/84 and it wouldn't have much (any?) relevance for either blend today.
This might be a little more helpful: If you want to try an older, fantastic Virginia/perique that doesn't have the popularity (and high prices) of the Cope's or the original Nuns, I'd encourage you to seek out A&C Petersen's Curly-Cut Melange #410. It is wonderful, wonderful stuff, and it ages beautifully. (Even the tin is gorgeous.) Several years ago I picked up a tin on eBay and it was exactly how I remembered it from 1984. And that tin was in the $20-30 range, as I recall. (I believe the blend was discontinued in the late 1980s/early 1990s.)
Bob

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I'm amazed as to how wonderful this tobacco is.
Ok, I'm still amazed with pipe smoking in general and every tobacco I smoke spirals upwards to discovered heavenly flavours but, damn, Escudo... ...wonderful!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yup, Escudo is absolutely essential in my book. Try the Dunhill Navy Rolls too, they're a lil different but I think I like them just a tad bit more.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Yup, Escudo is absolutely essential in my book. Try the Dunhill Navy Rolls too, they're a lil different but I think I like them just a tad bit more.
+1. I switched from DNR to Escudo because so many people claim it's the same or nearly the same, but cheaper. I enjoyed Escudo, but went back to DNR, which I find less spicy, more complex and rich in taste. If money were an issue I'd rather smoke DNR and cut back on consumption. If you like Escudo definitely try a tin of DNR.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I've tried DNR and liked them but I find Escudo fuller and a bit less sweet. It could be that I got my Escudo tins from Mctinner and he had them stored for a year.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've tried Escudo a few times and even bought a tin from 2004 from Pipestud but I find it all rather bland and boring.
I'll have to try it again sometime.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a few tins in the cellar too that are coming up on the two year mark.

Will be interesting to see how it tastes when I get around to cracking a tin. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've tried Escudo a few times and even bought a tin from 2004 from Pipestud but I find it all rather bland and boring.
Same here. I prefer Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Escudo is more "comfort food" for me. It's not too spicy and it just does a nice job. There are others I prefer more, like PS Bulkseye, but escudo is well represented in my cellar. My new "favorite" VaPer is Watch City 558, but it was just discontinued. Luckily I grabbed enough, but the FDA can kiss my ash.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I love Escudo. I lean more towards Virginia Flakes and VaPers in the summer months; on those sweltering summer nights when the heat still rises from the pavement long after dark, there's nothing like iced tea, Escudo and a deck chair. I've been hoarding this stuff by the sleeve for years. The tins I've been cracking for the last several months are only five or six years old. (Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls are well represented in the stash as well.)
I prefer Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Been meaning to try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.