PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It is Good Friday so Happy Easter and for those of our members who are Jewish Happy Passover for tonight! Since I am not working today I thought I would take some time out for some routine pipe maintenance. Here is one of my ancient meerschaums getting a bowl scrape, new Philt Pad and the pipe equivalent of a colonoscopy. What's you pipe cleaning routine?

thumbnail-1.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's you pipe cleaning routine?
For normal cleaning it's just running war water through the bowl and shank and using a sufficient number of bristled tapered pipe cleaners to remove the gunk. If the stem is acrylic i use pipe cleaners dipped in unscented dishwasher gel and clean the stem under warm water. If th stem is Vulcanite I use pipe cleaners dipped in alcohol to scrub out the airway, as many as needed to get rid of deposits.

Deep cleaning is a lot more involved.

Reactions: JOHN72

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Well, I’ve had a bit of a faff with an old Peterson I bought on eBay.

EDA79765-5474-4870-BCF6-02DE7AB743E7.jpeg

oxidised to buggery.

I was recommended to get some mineral oil and some magic sponges, which I ordered.

3F9AD5FE-53E2-4AE1-AD0C-B3CACA3B7FAC.jpeg

used quite a few bits but it turned out nicely in the end.

EF18B93A-CF29-406F-8F52-ECF4F2651F79.jpeg
655D7565-ED45-4A7C-BF5F-D0B6A13392CB.jpeg

I’m definitely going to keep the magic sponges on hand for the stems, they worked a treat getting the sulphur brown goop off and then some deniclean on a pipe cleaner passed through the stem seems to do the trick - I quite like running some brandy through the stem as well.

Anyway, merry Easter and happy pipes.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
@Franco Pipenbeans : Thats really turned out nice. When I uttered that phrase for some odd reason I could hear George Formby in my inner monologue - but there you go. I've also been meaning to ask you who is the fellow in your avatar?
That’s my Great Grandad, Daniel Hunt, taken sometime in the 1920’s or ‘30’s I think. He was the type of pipe smoker who never took it out of his mouth by all accounts but then he lived in a time when your could smoke in the doctor’s surgery if you wanted to. ??

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper and kcghost

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I am always surprised by the gunk and grime to gets removed from the bowl when cleaning up and estate.

The vodka/salt procedure is especially gratifying.
I didn’t have any vodka for this round but I did have some Japanese whisky left over from Christmas. It worked well for the salt bath, especially in the gunk trap of the system, and has left a wonderful flavour to it.