PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might like to try a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic which is burley based with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs. It's tub tobacco, if you choose to buy it that way, now in the 7 oz. tins rather than the old 14 oz. tubs, but start with a pouch as a sample. I was surprised. It is tastier to me than many premium blend aromatics, somewhat nuanced.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Yeah, but all us big time "connoisseurs" of fine pipes and tobaccos are not supposed to smoke aromatics like that. It's like the hear chef at the Ritz in Paris going to Burger King for lunch. puffy
I have a cellar full of fine tobaccos but upstairs I have a jar full of my old Charlie. It’s my everyday smoke

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Yeah, but all us big time "connoisseurs" of fine pipes and tobaccos are not supposed to smoke aromatics like that. It's like the hear chef at the Ritz in Paris going to Burger King for lunch. puffy
I was a cook for 18 years at some high end restaurants, getting paid to play with knives and fire.

Sometimes a cold Pabst or Hamm's beer (often as a Boilermaker with a shot of well whiskey) with a simple grilled cheese or fried bologna sandwich are the ticket to happiness.

No need to be ashamed. I don't hide my "dirty little secrets".

StPaulPiper

Might Stick Around
Dec 18, 2021
St Paul, MN
While not a vanilla blend I have always loved WILKE VERMONT MAPLE CAVENDISH. Might be worth a try...
I have some in my cupboard now, and every now and again, I have a bowl. It scared me at first, because it smells like a bag of maple syrup, sans tobacco. But it smokes differently than it smells, with rich tobacco taste. Nothing better on a crisp autumn day.
I like crossovers as well - Bengal Slices is a new favorite, with Latakia and just a hint of vanilla sweetness. I do find it too wet out of the tin, so must be dried somewhat before smoking. Eastfarthing is another Latakia blend with a hint of vanilla. Not to say either are Lat-bombs. Both are nuanced, with muliple flavors coming through.

Reactions: John Brandt

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
I have some in my cupboard now, and every now and again, I have a bowl. It scared me at first, because it smells like a bag of maple syrup, sans tobacco. But it smokes differently than it smells, with rich tobacco taste. Nothing better on a crisp autumn day.
I like crossovers as well - Bengal Slices is a new favorite, with Latakia and just a hint of vanilla sweetness. I do find it too wet out of the tin, so must be dried somewhat before smoking. Eastfarthing is another Latakia blend with a hint of vanilla. Not to say either are Lat-bombs. Both are nuanced, with muliple flavors coming through.
I understand the surprise. Smokes very differently than it smells. As you noted, especially good for a crisp fall afternoon smoke...

wooooo

Lurker
Feb 2, 2017
I was a cook for 18 years at some high end restaurants, getting paid to play with knives and fire.

Sometimes a cold Pabst or Hamm's beer (often as a Boilermaker with a shot of well whiskey) with a simple grilled cheese or fried bologna sandwich are the ticket to happiness.

No need to be ashamed. I don't hide my "dirty little secrets".
This is a great way to live. ?

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Amphora Full Aroma (chocolate and fruit), Mac Baren London Burley (chocolate) are good tobacco forward aromatics.

My "guilty pleasure" (or goopy pleasure) aromatic is Super Value Bourbon Whiskey, and I'll smoke some of the Sutliff-sauce aros around Christmas or family gatherings because the women-folk tolerate them.

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Amphora Full Aroma (chocolate and fruit), Mac Baren London Burley (chocolate) are good tobacco forward aromatics.

My "guilty pleasure" (or goopy pleasure) aromatic is Super Value Bourbon Whiskey, and I'll smoke some of the Sutliff-sauce aros around Christmas or family gatherings because the women-folk tolerate them.
How could I forget amphora full?

I always have some around. Beautifully crafted, tobacco forward, far from a sweet goopy mess, with a wonderful orange chocolate topping that doesn’t get in the way too much.

Reactions: canucklehead