PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
What can one say about 7 Seas Regular that hasn't been said? With all the reviews online you have to know it's worth a try, so I did and figured I'd add my two cents as well!

When you first open a tin of 7 Seas Regular the smell of rich chocolate wafts from the package and teases your nose with hints of fantastic flavor you're about to enjoy. I'm reminded of a dark chocolate truffle covered with cacao powder in the aroma, so decadent I'm tempted to taste it. Upon lighting I found this to be one of the smoothest and tastiest tobaccos in the Aromatic category that I've tried thus far. With strong notes of rich dark chocolate dominating the palate and subtle vanilla undertones soothing forth within each puff of the smooth tobacco profile. The blend is made up of Virginia, Burley and tons of black Cavendish. It may need a relight or two, I usually do three or four if I'm not paying attention, but it's well worth the trouble. I have a few tobaccos in my rotation but this one has been my go to for smoking out and about, not only for the tasty and reliable flavor, but also for the complements I get on the room note! The nicotine is quite mild as well so you can load bowl after bowl no problem, a perfect blend for a mid-day break before getting back to life.

I give each pinch from the tin a little time to dry out, maybe 15min to 1hr under a ceiling fan, then smoke it slow and steady. She plays well with both filter and non filter pipes, not to mention you'll be hard pressed to get a bite as long as you let it dry a bit.

Last edited:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
What can one say about 7 Seas Regular that hasn't been said? With all the reviews online you have to know it's worth a try, so I did and figured I'd add my two cents as well!

When you first open a tin of 7 Seas Regular the smell of rich chocolate wafts from the package and teases your nose with hints of fantastic flavor you're about to enjoy. I'm reminded of a dark chocolate truffle covered with cacao powder in the aroma, so decadent I'm tempted to taste it. Upon lighting I found this to be one of the smoothest and tastiest tobaccos in the Aromatic category that I've tried thus far. With strong notes of rich dark chocolate dominating the palate and subtle vanilla undertones soothing forth within each puff of the smooth tobacco profile. The blend is made up of Virginia, Burley and tons of black Cavendish. It may need a relight or two, I usually do three or four if I'm not paying attention, but it's well worth the trouble. I have a few tobaccos in my rotation but this one has been my go to for smoking out and about, not only for the tasty and reliable flavor, but also for the complements I get on the room note! The nicotine is quite mild as well so you can load bowl after bowl no problem, a perfect blend for a mid-day break before getting back to life.

I give each pinch from the tin a little time to dry out, maybe 15min to 1hr under a ceiling fan, then smoke it slow and steady. She plays well with both filter and non filter pipes, not to mention you'll be hard pressed to get a bite as long as you let it dry a bit.
I bet you’d like some other Mac Baren too then. Ever tried vanilla flake? It’s a great one.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I bet you’d like some other Mac Baren too then. Ever tried vanilla flake? It’s a great one.

I could barely go through a single flake - felt extremely chemical, plastic and unpleasant past halfway through the bowl. I had to mix it 1:1:1 with plain yellow Virginia and Burley from a local (Greek) company to become palatable for me, after that I really enjoyed its toned down vanilla flavour.

I'm considering trying 7 seas and preemptively mixing a pouch with a couple of pouches of Amphora to up the tobacco a tad and dilute the topping. In terms of nicotine 7 seas is probably hot air right?

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I picked up a pouch, will try tonight. It smells really divine, I almost wanted to eat some.

It's really mostly black Cavendish isn't it, at least 75% of the ribbons (more like bits) in the pouch are Cavendish so I'm sure it'll be tasty hot air, begging to be mixed with something more robust. Will return to this thread.

Reactions: Casual and JPremo

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I tried this recently and first was put off a bit by the slightly artificial rum? topping. It grows on me though, and I can now occasionally smoke this. The pouches I have are fairly dry and it smokes very uncomplicated and produces indeed very satisfactory amounts of smoke.

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
I tried it, it is ok, it doesn't really have much depth, body or strength (i.e., it is tasty hot air) but it is a chill, easy smoke and smells good.
I will admit, for a stronger smoke I prefer Irish Flake or G.H. Twists for sure.

BUUUT I've started experimenting with home pressing plugs and of course I had to try this in that form for both storage and blending improvement purposes. I've got one in a jar that's been proofing for a week or so now, I'll shave some off of that and post an update here tomorrow.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I smoked a few bowls in quick succession, its's really easygoing, not bad flavour at all, but it does leave the pipe very goopy and dirty even after a single bowl. Never had such gunk with anything else I've smoked, now I am glad I put it in a beater pipe.

It's not bad, but I see myself mixing it with something to up the oomph and reduce gunk.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

JPremo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Viva Las Vegas
Alright so the plug results are in and I gotta say I'm pretty happy with it, the mix on the two dark pucks is 15% Maple Street, 15% Irish Flake, and 70% 7 Seas. Kicks a bit more but still retains excellent flavor and scent, with the added benefit of compact storage of course. I agree with @karam on the goop factor and it's still present even with this mix.
iUTjU2K.jpg

Middle puck is fresh from the press today and will probably expand to match the size of the others as they were about that size initially. The left puck is a recipe I found on Reddit called Powdered Toast Man which is supposed to taste like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
It's supposed to be

2 parts Lane Buttered Rum
2 parts Stokkebye Cinnamon
1 part Prince Albert
1 part Stokkebye Perique

But Stokkebye isn't in stock so it's been replaced with Sutliff Louisiana Perique and Cinnamon Delight, I'll let you guys know how that one goes in another review!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Iam thinking about buying a tin of Rattrays ' Bagpipers Dream' has anyone had any dealings with this blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.