PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

WNCLEE28466

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2021
Wallace, NC (near the coast)
Hello. I'm Still on my quest for English tobaccos, trying my best to obtain some Margate, but looking for the closest thing to the taste of Margate I can get. If you've been lucky enough to have tried Margate, please let me know what is the most equivalent... Thanks so much for your advice, and help. LeRoy L. P.S. Is Margate worth it???

Reactions: chopper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
To me, Margate is distinguished by its shag cut and extremely smokey profile. I don't know of any other shag cut latakia blends. Taste wise, Commonwealth is perhaps similar? But Commonwealth is not easy to get a hold of either although a shipment of SG is reportedly on its way to the USA.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Could be that you might like Early Morning Pipe, though it may come across to you as somewhat lighter in flavour and strength than Margate.
Should be easily available.
Have not tried Margate nor Dunhill/Peterson EMP.
The Sutliff EMP Match [Sunrise] though, is right up my alley. Lovely stuff. puffy

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Lancer Slices
Smoked a small bowl of Lancer Slices just the other day.
There's enough Latakia to choke a horse [I'm coming to the conclusion that my palate must be rather sensitive to the stuff]

However, once mixed 50/50 with MB Virginia #1, it was rather good.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Yeah I remember a few years ago I walked into Boswells and they had tins/bags on the shelf but none online. Realized then they keep stock off the site so they have inventory for the local clientele even if it might sit for a while.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Hello. I'm Still on my quest for English tobaccos, trying my best to obtain some Margate, but looking for the closest thing to the taste of Margate I can get. If you've been lucky enough to have tried Margate, please let me know what is the most equivalent... Thanks so much for your advice, and help. LeRoy L. P.S. Is Margate worth it???
Send me (PM) your address and I’ll send you a mason jar of Margate.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Used to think foie gras was the thing to have. Only sampled little in state side. While in Paris, decide to give it a good go at it. Had it at every restaurants I was at. Wasn't impressed. I prefer chicken liver with onion smothered in brown gravy from K&W (local buffet chain. Two closest to me shut down during the pandemic. Shame).

GCW

Can't Leave
Nov 17, 2019
Seattle

I'll cut you a deal.