PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I recently had an AHA that I'll share.
I have found that packing my pipe and then spending a few (5-20) minutes "smoking" it prior to lighting it, is actually delightful and beneficial.
Since I vary the pipes and blends I smoke, it provides me with some time to enjoy the vapors that come off of the tobacco, preparing me for the smoky delight to come. It also re-acquaints me with that particular pipe; the manner in which it "likes" to be smoked / breathed, and the various directions which that specific stem will be directing said smoky bliss in my palate. And finally, it seems to prepare / dry the tobacco quite perfectly for lighting, and has assisted with achieving a better light / char.
This is more relevant the more moist the blend.
I've decided that it's similar to one of the things I learned when I was "training" my wine palate in the past.
"The best place to aerate the wine is in the glass."
And thus I offer that perhaps it's similar for the tobacco.
Cheers.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That adds more moisture to the tobacco. How much? No idea. But if you like your tobacco on moist side, I guess that works. I don't suggest doing that after Subway sandwich. Tend to leave strong breath. Mostly dressings they use.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and kurtbob

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hey man, I’m glad it works for you! If it’s working, keep it up! I’ve had some bizarre aha moments that I’ve shared here and found that what works for me, most likely isn’t going to work for others, so in short, if you get that “perfect” smoke while standing on your head, than dag gummit, smoke it that way is what I says.

For me, that’s 5 - 20 minutes that I don’t usually have and when I do have it, I want to smoke the tobacco. Though, a lot of people on here boast that they hardly produce any smoke when they… uh… smoke, so maybe you are on to something, the best way to coax the flavors out of the tobacco is to not even smoke it at all. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and kurtbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That adds more moisture to the tobacco. How much?

If you are in Alabama in the Summer, outside, sure.

But it'll dry it somewhat with dry ambient RH.
No idea. But if you like your tobacco on moist side, I guess that works. I don't suggest doing that after Subway sandwich. Tend to leave strong breath. Mostly dressings they use.

Cappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Louisiana
My aha moment is to make sure it’s dry enough, pack it, and touch fire to it. Smoking it without lighting it is like smoking bubblegum cigarettes. No offense intended.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
That adds more moisture to the tobacco. How much? No idea. But if you like your tobacco on moist side, I guess that works. I don't suggest doing that after Subway sandwich. Tend to leave strong breath. Mostly dressings they use.
It definitely doesn't add moisture, indeed it reduces it. Beneficial in some cases.

Reactions: kcghost

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Hey man, I’m glad it works for you! If it’s working, keep it up! I’ve had some bizarre aha moments that I’ve shared here and found that what works for me, most likely isn’t going to work for others, so in short, if you get that “perfect” smoke while standing on your head, than dag gummit, smoke it that way is what I says.

For me, that’s 5 - 20 minutes that I don’t usually have and when I do have it, I want to smoke the tobacco. Though, a lot of people on here boast that they hardly produce any smoke when they… uh… smoke, so maybe you are on to something, the best way to coax the flavors out of the tobacco is to not even smoke it at all. ;)
It definitely adds time, and that's something I often don't have as well. It's just that sometimes it's been uniquely pleasant and beneficial.

Reactions: hawky454

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
My aha moment is to make sure it’s dry enough, pack it, and touch fire to it. Smoking it without lighting it is like smoking bubblegum cigarettes. No offense intended.
None taken. It's not a necessary component of my experience. It's something I found is pleasant with certain blends, and I shared it because it was counter-intuitive to me and therefore interesting.

Reactions: kurtbob