PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
As a general rule I stay out of these things. Along with the usual suspects such as rattlesnakes, scorpions, and spiders there's those pesky things like hantavirus and rabies which could be carried by the local residents.

Found a few more smaller mines while exploring along with some leftover mining debris/equipment.

I'm looking forward to running this trail again soon and getting some good pics. I've even been looking at dashcams for my Jeep.

Lots of great challenges on the trail in certain spots. 4lo allowed me to crawl up/over spots without scraping underneath.

Found the mine on Google maps:

Screenshot_20220424-081419.png

Screenshot_20220424-100826.png

For Jay @mawnansmiff , there was lots of interesting quartz in the debris pile. Some with veins and some just pure milk white.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Shanez, often as not where you find quartz you also find metal ores.....and that was likely what was mined there.

If you know its name & location, let me know & I should be able to tell you for sure.

Regards,

Jay.
I can't find the exact coordinates of the mine but the location is so close it makes me think this was the Lucky Strike mine where lead and zinc were mined.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
When I lived in Tucson I worked for a guy who owned several tattoo shops. He would spend some of his weekends in abandoned mines to get minerals to grind into pigments for his inks.

He invited me along a coupla times. I regret saying no.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
@Shanez, would this be the location?

Luck Strike Mine, Charleston Mining District, Spring Mountains, Clark Co., Nevada.

If so there were 15 mines in the district mainly sourcing lead & zinc (often found together).

Nearby you have 'Ada & Edith' claims, Five Star Lead Mine, Griffith Mine, Zeinka Mine, 'Iron Age' claim, Potosi Mine, Ninety Nine Mine, and Blue Diamond Mine.

Anhydrite & gypsum were also mined in the area along with a little copper & silver.

Regards,

Jay.