PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Well I'm back at it again. Having reviewed Amphora English Blend, which after some drying has become a pretty common smoke for me, I'm going back to the Amphora well. Like the English Blend I picked it up on an impulse at my local B&M though I can get a better price online.

Cut is supposedly ready rubbed but it looks more like a very very fine sliced cake to me. I rubbed it more to get it finer. I also dried it. Like most Virginias it is sweet, slightly nutty smokes surprisingly cool. It reminds me of a very fine cigarette in many respects. If your main driver is an English or Aromatic this is a nice change of pace.

That said it is a little plain. I would give 3 1/2 out of 5. If you like natural VAs give it a shot.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Well I'm back at it again. Having reviewed Amphora English Blend, which after some drying has become a pretty common smoke for me, I'm going back to the Amphora well. Like the English Blend I picked it up on an impulse at my local B&M though I can get a better price online.

Cut is supposedly ready rubbed but it looks more like a very very fine sliced cake to me. I rubbed it more to get it finer. I also dried it. Like most Virginias it is sweet, slightly nutty smokes surprisingly cool. It reminds me of a very fine cigarette in many respects. If your main driver is an English or Aromatic this is a nice change of pace.

That said it is a little plain. I would give 3 1/2 out of 5. If you like natural VAs give it a shot.
I happen to think it is one of the finest virginia blends out there. Not plain at all, if you ask me.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I happen to think it is one of the finest virginia blends out there. Not plain at all, if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong. It is a very fine tobacco and the price can't be beat (almost 8 USD for 50g is down right cheap for a good pipe tobacco).

Maybe plain is the wrong word. I can't think of a good one really to describe how I feel about this tobacco. I get a cool smoking, nutty-sweetness out of it. It doesn't bite my tongue, which is a plus, but I can get a cool burning, nutty, earthy, sweet, musty (but in a good way) smoke out of Amphora Burley Blend (which I will probably write a review for in a few days time).

ETA: I will say that as far as room note goes, other people seem to prefer this to the English Blend (or at least this is the case with my never smoker mother).

Last edited:

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I came away from my finished pouch with the same impression, but having less experience in simple Virginia blends, I assumed it was characteristic of the type.

I've smoked blends before that were just Virginia and gotten plenty of complex flavors out of them ranging from nutty to grassy and almost all of them have an underlying sweetness (VAs have a lot of sugar in the leaf in comparison to other tobaccos though I'm unsure if this is cultivar related, terroir related or cure method related). I have an old tin of Dunhill's Three Year Matured Virginia and I do get quite a bit of complexity out of it, but that complexity could be due to its age, it is at least 2018 and probably slightly older than that (one of the B&Ms I frequent was moving new old stock).

It is possible that this blend could be improved by aging. Since I've already ordered an Amphora Sampler Pack I may have to take the VA Blend out, put it in a jar and put it on my shelf for quarter, or even half a year to see if it becomes more complex.

Reactions: danimalia

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands

Don't get me wrong. It is a very fine tobacco and the price can't be beat (almost 8 USD for 50g is down right cheap for a good pipe tobacco).

Maybe plain is the wrong word. I can't think of a good one really to describe how I feel about this tobacco. I get a cool smoking, nutty-sweetness out of it. It doesn't bite my tongue, which is a plus, but I can get a cool burning, nutty, earthy, sweet, musty (but in a good way) smoke out of Amphora Burley Blend (which I will probably write a review for in a few days time).

ETA: I will say that as far as room note goes, other people seem to prefer this to the English Blend (or at least this is the case with my never smoker mother).
This blend benefits a lot from some time in a jar. Jar it for 6 months, dry it out until it is crispy, pack it lightly and smoke it slowly.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

Nicely done. After enjoying the Regular Amphora, along with the Burley and Kentucky blends, I think I need to give this one a try.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I agree that it is not as complex as some straight VA blends out there, but it's really an excellent smoke for the price, and one of the best blends out there that comes in a pouch, IMO.

For 8USD it isn't badly priced and the tobacco is quality. I'm going to jar what I have now (the open pouch and the one that came with the sampler today) for a few months. When I review I tend to review fresh rather than cellared tobaccos as I feel that the aging process does change them. Virginias especially so, and those so far who have posted to really liking this blend have recommended giving it some jar time.