PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Thought I would share my impressions of this blend. I don't think of my palate as refined enough to give a proper review, but figured some of you fine folks may also be fans of this stuff.

I was enticed by a recent P&C deal that included a pouch of this smoke along with a pipe and some accessories. My taste for dark fired has crept up on me over the past few months with blends like C&D exhausted rooster, Orlik DSK, and Newminster #403 ...I usually stick to lower nicotine blends but like to smoke something a little more substantial on the Friday commute as a treat...which brings me to today...

This stuff is great. When I opened the pouch, I finally got that genuine barbecue grill smell that I have heard so much about in regards to dark fired ...the broken flakes are dense, dark, and mysterious-almost jerky like in appearance...I had a feeling that this stuff was going to be a ticket to Flavor Country and I was correct.

I am typically partial to VaPers, Virginia flakes, vanilla aromatics, etc. and usually get a solid 45-50 minutes out of a bowl...

Today, I smoked half a bowl of the Kentucky Blend in 55 minutes ...wow! I am amazed at how cool this stuff burns. I have really worked on sipping and smoking slowly for a while, but that's quite a difference from my usual blends. I also usually just smoke Legend or Missouri Pride cobs, too...not big pipes by any means. (though I have actually started smoking briars in the evening again)

Anyhow, thanks for reading. Nobody I know in 'real life' knows anything about pipe tobacco...had to nerd out for a minute! haha :) Cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried Amphora Dark Fired, but likely I will. I was surprised and pleased with their Burley blend, and would also like to try their Virginia at some point. The Burley seems to be quality tobacco intelligently blended.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I also really enjoyed the Burley Blend. Original did not seem to scratch that itch for me, but I still have pouches of Full Aroma, Virginia and English Blend to get to. The Cavendish Special Reserve I gave away to a friend who just decided to take up pipes, just tasted like Captain Black white to me.

Reactions: Casual

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes the Cavendish is a really fruity mixture. Not exactly what I expected.

The Full Aroma I found to be better than the Original.

Reactions: Spinkle
Status
Not open for further replies.