PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Okay, so i will amit that i have, over the years become something of a pipe blend snob. However, in a recent order of more expensive tobacco i threw in an order for Amphora Full Aroma. I have to say that i am very pleasantly surprised. I really like it. It is not too aromatic. Not goopy and has a very pleasant sweet flavor which seems to last and even grow throughout the bowl. Seems like a blend that could be a no fuss everyday blend. I don't taste the orange or raspberry just pleasant sweet tobacco. Do you love it, like it or not like it? How about any of the other Amphora blends? I know that it's made by MacBaren and wonder why it is not still available in 12 oz container or in bulk.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Have tried many amphoras, and like them. Not favourites, but I certainly wouldn’t complain if they were all that was available in my local. The burley is really great, and the Kentucky was surprisingly good. Not quite ODF but hits the same spot. And there’s enough difference in the range that there‘s something for everyone.

Reactions: canucklehead

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
All the Amphoras used to sold in tubs for many years. That stopped in the 1980s, probably due to lack of sales.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Picked up the Amphora sampler pack but have only tried a couple of them so far. Burley is a broken flake that is plain yet tasty. Kentucky is very similar to ODF and if you like one you may like the other. Also have the Amphora Match and smoked a bowl last night, it tastes different than it smells and is sweet with a chocolatey vibe. Am looking forward to trying a pouch of Full Aroma when it's time.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
One of my early favorites was the Amphora Full. I tried G&H Red when it was released. A decent smoke but, not anywhere near the same. When Mac Baren released theirs, I was once again compelled to try it. While I find the Original (Brown) to be pretty close to what I remember, the red is not quite as good to me. Grandpa smoked Amphora Brown for years when I was growing up so, I have a bit of a nostalgia for that particular blend.

Mike S.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I regularly smoke Amphora Original, Burley, and Virginia. I just opened a pouch of the latter this morning. I got a 5 pack last February; just a year smooths it out.

Reactions: BROBS

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think it is good. If I light it when it's moist, the berries and chocolate are distinct. The dryer it gets, the less aromatic as well. I happen to like that, so I dry it a lot.
Actually I started bying it for my wife, who'll smoke a bowl with me from time to time. She's been pregnant for the last 9 months and hasn't smoked during that time, but I'm getting increasingly fond of her tobacco, and smoke it once or twice a week.
I find that it can get a bit sour or harsh if I'm not careful with my cadence, but that seems to be the case with most tobacco.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I like the Amphora Original.....but find it a bit of an "all day smoke"....I always want a littlw more oooomph with it.

My favourite is the "Rich"..(Green Pouch).....fantastic......but once again only available in selected countries...

I am presently enjoying C&D Redburn with 20 - 30% "Rich".....wonderful combo..

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Okay, so i will amit that i have, over the years become something of a pipe blend snob. However, in a recent order of more expensive tobacco i threw in an order for Amphora Full Aroma. I have to say that i am very pleasantly surprised. I really like it. It is not too aromatic. Not goopy and has a very pleasant sweet flavor which seems to last and even grow throughout the bowl. Seems like a blend that could be a no fuss everyday blend. I don't taste the orange or raspberry just pleasant sweet tobacco. Do you love it, like it or not like it? How about any of the other Amphora blends? I know that it's made by MacBaren and wonder why it is not still available in 12 oz container or in bulk.
Their burley blend is the best one

Reactions: acaldecott

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
One of my early favorites was the Amphora Full. I tried G&H Red when it was released. A decent smoke but, not anywhere near the same. When Mac Baren released theirs, I was once again compelled to try it. While I find the Original (Brown) to be pretty close to what I remember, the red is not quite as good to me. Grandpa smoked Amphora Brown for years when I was growing up so, I have a bit of a nostalgia for that particular blend.

Mike S.
Nope it’s not the same. G&H red blows it out of the water

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
finally cracked open the package and put half in a small jar for later use.

The fruity topping is very mild and light and reminds me a bit of Royal Yacht In that manor. It's not bad and has a decent amount of vitamin N but was expecting a stronger flavor. Will experiment further but so far it's a ok smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried that Amphora blend, but their Amphora Burley is well-turned. I'd like it cut a little finer, but the blend is good.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
When I first started smoking a pipe, whenever I smoked in public or even bought pipe tobacco at a store, I would have random 90 year old fellas come over and tell me that when they used to smoke a pipe they always smoked Amphora, it is the best. I figured a bunch of random geezers couldn't all be wrong, so I bought a pouch of the original blend and loved it. The full aroma is a good aro, flavourful and not goopy. I haven't tried all the new colours yet, but plan on doing so soon.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.