PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
This may be a newer blend. I remember Amphora from years ago, it was an OTC aromatic that I could find in most grocery and drug stores down here in Florida. I tried it back then and didn't really care for it so my expectations were somewhat low when I saw a pouch of this at my local B&M. I typically like English blends and it was relatively cheap so I bought it anyway. (I later found much better prices online.)

The component tobaccos are clearly latakia, and Virginia (though what kind of Virginia I can't really tell). After looking for it online there is supposedly some Oriental leaf in here as well but I didn't taste them, or they are a background note adding some pepperiness to the latakia.

I can't really tell the room note. I assume that it tolerable as when I smoke this Miss Kitty still wants my attention. I might want to smoke this at some point around a human and ask them.

This blend does seem to require a little drying (in my tastes) as the first bowl was very very latakia forward and almost unpleasant but having the pouch open now three days it seems to have mellowed a bit. Cut is ribbon.

The first third of the bowl I get the smokiness of the latakia and the sweetness of the Virginia. This remains consistent through the bowl until I get to the lower third where the flavor changes subtly due to increased moisture--probably from the combustion of the first two thirds. I find removing the built up ash helpful and usually relight to get back to the smoky-sweet taste. Ash is a very light grey.

Overall I would say this is a pleasant middle of the road English blend. I would certainly recommend this to anyone who likes English blends. I would probably recommend this to someone who wants to try English blends. Even at the B&M the price point is good (and they are charging almost double what smokingpipes.com is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mac Baren has made Amphora a whole suite of tobaccos -- Original, Virginia, Burley, English and one or two more I think. I like the burley quite a bit, though it takes a little drying out, and maybe a little rubbing out to get the best burn. But the burley they use is substantial and has dimension.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Mac Baren revived Amphora in 2016 and the English was released in the Fall of 2019.

Must be why I thought it was new. Because it more or less is. I really slowed down on my tobacco acquisition after 08 as I had to really mind my budget during the recession and the pandemic, I was smoking tobacco that I had squirreled away.

Mac Baren has made Amphora a whole suite of tobaccos -- Original, Virginia, Burley, English and one or two more I think. I like the burley quite a bit, though it takes a little drying out, and maybe a little rubbing out to get the best burn. But the burley they use is substantial and has dimension.

I have the Burley and the Virginia also. I didn't see the others at the tobacconist's but I have seen them online (for a much better price) a Special Reserve Cavendish and a Kentucky. I'm currently smoking the Virginia now (but haven't smoked enough of it to have an opinion yet--first bowl and all) in a briar Canadian.

pipe02.jpg

The Burley I smoked last night in my Cobbit Wizard. Like the Virginia, one bowl isn't enough to form an opinion on. Mostly I smoked it because I wanted to smoke the Wizard (as it is my newest pipe) and I decided I didn't want latakia in that one.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I haven't had their English or their dark fired, but I've had all the rest and like them. Full Aroma is my favorite because it's the most complex, on my palate. At $7-$8 for 50g it's the right price, and I can reuse the foil pouch as a fancy wallet.

Never thought of using the pouch as a wallet. I have used pouches as pouches before though. Had a pouch of PA that I kept refilling from a tub.

Reactions: Kal and LikeDadDid

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Update: I have smoked this around a human in an enclosed space (my own living room) and asked them about the room note. They found it tolerable, and I know she (my mother) doesn't care much for latakia.

It should be noted that my mother is a never smoker, and if I were to go to her house I certainly wouldn't smoke in it but she came over to mine and I can and will smoke in my house I don't care who comes over.