PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Since I've reviewed their English Blend and their Virginia Blend, it is now time to turn our attention to Amphora Burley Blend. Like the English and the Virginia blends I picked these up at my local tobacconist though I have since found much more reasonably priced online options.

According to the online descriptions the Burley Blend contains burley, dark fired Kentucky and Virginia leaf. And it certainly is high quality leaf at that. The cut is ribbon cut that looks more like very small flake. I dried this and rubbed it out very well. I have noticed that this blend seems to taste better in larger pipes as opposed to smaller pipes.

Opening the pouch one is greeted with a strong earthy and nutty aroma of burley. There are some musty notes as well. The second I smelled it I wanted to smoke it.

I find that it smokes best if it is allowed to dry a bit and is rubbed out. Also as I said before it seems to taste better in large pipes like my MM Cobbit Wizard or my large bowled Canadian briar. I've smoked it successfully in smaller pipes but the taste wasn't as good in my mind as the larger pipe. I'm unsure if this is psychological or what; never actually come across a tobacco that seemed to taste different in different sized bowls before.

Taste is nutty and slightly sweet (burley and virginia), there is dark note in the background. I was unable to detect any sort of flavoring--which is a bonus in my book. It is also cool smoking. And burns down to a light grey ash.

Over all I give it a solid 4 out of 5. While not an all day smoke for me, it is something I find myself reaching for this blend when I desire a strong nic hit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amphora Burley isn't aromatic, no whisky flavoring, so it might be more like Peterson Irish Flake or Peterson 3-P. I've had all three, and there is a resemblance I like all three, but I think Irish Flake may be my favorite.

Reactions: Brendan

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Amphora Burley isn't aromatic, no whisky flavoring, so it might be more like Peterson Irish Flake or Peterson 3-P. I've had all three, and there is a resemblance I like all three, but I think Irish Flake may be my favorite.
Thanks @mso489 , I think the most responsible thing I can do for the good of the world economy is to try all 3..
It's the least I can do..

Reactions: dcon