PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
None of those plugs pictured are even similar to the dense Irish/European Plugs.

Although I can't speak for what's in the packages that Brown's Mule looks fairly solid. The Club Plug pictured at top is much more rugged than any UK plug I've tried. I'll try for a better picture.
Have you ever tried Warrior, Velvan, or PPP?
3P's is a regular and favorite of mine. I've tried Warrior, Revor, Velvan, Mick McQuiad, Salty Dog, Condor and Wessex Gold Brick. Loved them all.

Even the plugs above that aren't quite like UK plugs look denser than say Jack Knife. I'm trying to wade through everything and find something definitive on the production methods. :puffpipe:
I've gotta try some of that Cotton Boll

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Found this in my wanderings, November 27 1914
27-Nov-14-300x216.png

THIS DAY IN RMR HISTORY: “Salisbury, Nov. 27 – Twenty-two thousand Canadians were engaged all day in manoeuvres, all branches of the service participating. The movements were the same as in battle, the idea being to show each unit where it belonged. It was a magnificent sight. General Pitcairn Campbell congratulated the Canadian officers and said the movements were admirably conducted. The men want Canadian plug tobacco for Christmas.
So these guys are in England with all those wonderful tobacco blends and plugs of old and they want "Canadian Plugs" for Christmas. :crazy:

Interesting. Virginias became popular after the Civil War, because the strain was developed, as well as flue curing. It is interesting that plug and flakes then followed, as they all required an advancement in technology. Matches also became available after the war. Virginias, plugs, matches... all was set to go tame the West.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
I'll try and find an article I read about cigars/pipes during the civil war period. It stated that most would have smoked pipes & chewed tobacco because of the cost and fragility of cigars. It also stated that most would have grown tobacco at home, everyone had a small patch.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
My post that the we son't have the euiptment to make Irish style plugs that are dense like Warrior or Velvan was based on watching previous threads comparing the new version of War Horse Plug to the original version and what the SToP group had said about getting it manufactured.

Maybe there's a barn somewhere with a press, but there is no current Irish style plug being produced here... was the concensus that I gathered. Maybe at one time there was. Cool research though.
I thought you meant the US never made the plugs. They sure don't make them now.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Originally published in The Irish Volunteer Journal, Vol. 4 No. 3, Summer 1999
“Before 1870, almost any kind of factory tobacco product was more or less an aristocratic luxury.” Heimann also writes that, “cash was not spent even on cheap cigars or plug [tobacco] if homegrown leaf could be had.” With everyone growing their own—and tobacco was everywhere—there was no point in buying a factory-made product. Further, the cigars a person might buy had no blending of tobacco—they only had what was locally grown. Why buy a Connecticut cigar when a person grew the same stuff in his back yard?
As for Civil War soldiers, it could be that being removed from the back yard patch increased the appreciation of the ready-made cigar, and certainly factory cigar consumption began to take off during the Civil War to reach its height in 1910. But how often did enlisted men smoke cigars? The average prices for cigars at the time were 5 cents, 10 cents, and the premium cigars at 20 cents. To put that in perspective, an enlisted man made $13 a month; divide that by 30 and you get 43 cents per day. So a premium cigar would have cost half of a day’s wages, and that’s without tacking on the sutler charges for bringing them to the army.
At the time of the Civil War, tobacco was usually pressed into a plug or twist (which comes from the practice of pressing tobacco into hogsheads for shipment), and was often flavored with licorice, rum, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, or honey so it could be chewed or smoked. There was some distinction between pipe and chewing tobacco with the former usually called “plug” or “twist” and the latter called “navy.” The plug could be sold as a plug (a very compressed square of tobacco)—which was most common—or be cut, and called “cube”, “curve”, “straight”, “wavy” or “Cavendish” cut.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Now there is no question that Southerners could roll up a leaf of tobacco and smoke it, but in the South, tobacco was chewed or smoked in a pipe. Where would a Southerner get cigars? From Connecticut? Through New Orleans as they did before the war? (Oops, New Orleans was in Northern hands.) Through the blockade? Now before you bring up the Antietam campaign’s famous Lost Order No. 191 that was wrapped around three cigars, I will point out two things: 1. the cigars undoubtedly came from a staff officer, 2. and the Army of Northern Virginia was in Maryland on the invasion of the North. It is extremely doubtful that the typical Rebel infantryman ever smoked a cigar during the war, and the stuff they traded for coffee with Yanks was good old plug tobacco. This also means that when Northern soldiers were in the South, the tobacco they were “liberating” was plug or twist or navy tobacco.
An interesting story about Federals liberating Southern tobacco… When Sherman’s men were in North Carolina, they ransacked the warehouses of J.R Green in Durham. Green did not press his tobacco into plugs because he had a special curing process, and believed that pipe smoking was becoming more popular than chewing. His loose leaf tobacco was called “Best Flavored Spanish Smoking Tobacco.” It proved very popular, and the Union soldiers wrote to Green asking for the tobacco after the war. Knock-offs appeared calling themselves “Durham Tobaccos” or “Best Flavored Spanish”, so Green adopted the trademark of a bull and called it “Genuine Durham Smoking Tobacco”, but it became popularly known as “Bull Durham.”

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
I stumbled upon this tin during my searches;
more-like-it.jpg

Solomon Henry Hart, 1825 - 1901. Born in England, he arrived in Saint John by way of New York, where he took his training in tobacco grading and the making of pungent products. It fair to say that, with relatives in Montreal, New York and Cuba, he was admirably connected to sources of supply and distribution.
St John is about an hour drive from my home outside of Fredericton. Some interesting people originated there, Louis B Mayer, Donald Sutherland, Walter Pigeon. Benedict Arnold also lived here, there was talk of him having some sort of trouble leading to his moving here. :mrgreen:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I really wish they would make containers like this again! Not just the artwork but the quality of container. Modern containers would not hold up this well this long! Don't these companies realize that in part the declining artwork of today is part and parcel of the declining interest in tobacco?

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I saw these... I got excited. I started putting together an order at Northerner and when I went to pay, I learned that they don't ship to Delaware.
So, I can order pipe tobacco, cigarettes, cigars, ecigs and Dokha... I can order snus and chew... but not these plugs?
Is it just Northerner?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
An excellent thread for sure davet. Love all the info and great pics. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.