PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Read the book and makes Giant seem like a puff piece. It's a Series called The Son. Young boy in Texas his family killed by Indians, adopted by them, follows his life , Civil War, back to Texas to become the richest man in Texas. You will like it. Pierce Bronson plays the lead, don't tell me he can't play a Bad Western man until you see Seraphrim Falls.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Seen the previews for this. It's on my list. Looks good.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been waiting for this show. Problem is, I'm not sure how I'm going to squeeze it in with all the other shows I'm currently watching.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Woohoo, Bradley! I love a Western with some meat on the bone.
I liked Edna Ferber's "Giant." Read it several times and truly love the movie. If this is the better mousetrap then I'm all in.
Who wrote "The Son"?
When "Seraphim Falls" came out I remember an interview with Brosnan and he said, "The first day of the shoot I'm on horseback against Liam. I yell out, 'We're playing cowboys!'"
From IMDB.com:
"Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan both said they had the most fun in their career making this film. They both loved westerns as kids, and were thrilled to finally to be in one."
Frogman, or anybody, what's that odd looking magazine fed rifle Brosnan is firing during the river crossing we've seen in the commercials?
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I need another tv show to watch like I need another pipe....but the advertisements shown so far look promising. I'll record it watch it in the Fall.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The inspiration for the revised novel grew out of recalling his time studying for his MFA at the University of Texas, during which Meyer became familiar with the so-called "Bandit War" of 1915–1918.[9] He saw the potential for a novel concerning the Bandit Wars and the "creation myth of Texas"[8] to explore broader historical issues about the development of America as a whole. After American Rust's publication, Meyer began to research Texas history more closely. Meyer has estimated that he read 350 or so books about the history of Texas and diverse topics from captivity narratives to guides on bird tracks[8] in the course of his composition of the novel.[9] To gather historically accurate material for the book, Meyer learned how to tan deer hides, taught himself how to hunt with a bow, spent a month with military contractor Blackwater for firearms training, and shot a buffalo at a ranch so he could drink its blood - giving him a reference point for Comanche rituals. PHILLIP MEYER Author.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
20611_SON_S1_Tease_Smoke_COMING2017_15.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Thanks, Cabinfever. Bradley informed me they made several magazines for the Winchester Model 1907.
It's a rifle and caliber I wasn't familiar with.
Any guess as to the sidearm in your pix? The pouches have me leaning to a 1911.
Fnord

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
@fnord, it could be a 1911. I do not know what time period this TV series was supposed to have taken place in. Could be a precursor to the 1911, maybe a Colt 1900 or Colt 1905.
SON_104_eli-mccullough-pierce-brosnan-658.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Thanks to the power of modern TV and a recorder.......I just watched episode 1. It's pretty good. Pierce Brosnan does a great job, but I kept thinking Sam Neil would be better.....then I read that Sam was originally though of. I continue to watch but I'll keep thinking Pierce is Sam....not in a creepy way.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
First 5 minutes the acting is terrible, and I hate pierced brosnan perhaps more than any actor, but I love Comanche attacks, so I'm going to watch this

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
holy shit pierced brosnan is awful, does a terrible texas accent, bad casting

Status
Not open for further replies.