PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Well based on y'alls great advise I've decided to put the jars I'm aging away in a tub and keep the rest of the stash in sight and close at hand. Since I'm new to the sport I've got a lot of training to do. I've accumulated at least 3 dozen new blends to try over the last several months, so seeing them is the only way I remember what I have to smoke. Once I get another season or two under my belt I'll know better what I have and like. Hopefully become a sage veteran with words of wisdom for the rookies. Thanks for participating in my inquiry.

Reactions: FLDRD and jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Kenny G makes everything cooler:ROFLMAO:
I have one Kenny G story. I was working in a supermarket in their prepared food section. I got a call from the A.R. (artist relations) guy from the Bryce Jordan center (our horrid local venue for big acts). He called about an order number for roasted chicken after doing the whole thing he said "it's for Kenny G." but he said it like you would say oh it's for Tony Soprano. Like what is Kenny G going to have me killed if the chicken isn't perfect. You had to be there or at least hear me say it the way he did. Still was really hard not to laugh at the time.

• Haha
Reactions: TN Jed

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
I have one Kenny G story. I was working in a supermarket in their prepared food section. I got a call from the A.R. (artist relations) guy from the Bryce Jordan center (our horrid local venue for big acts). He called about an order number for roasted chicken after doing the whole thing he said "it's for Kenny G." but he said it like you would say oh it's for Tony Soprano. Like what is Kenny G going to have me killed if the chicken isn't perfect. You had to be there or at least hear me say it the way he did. Still was really hard not to laugh at the time.
No need to have worried. The saxophone mafia are a bunch of blowhards.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A constant temperature, dryness, and out-of-direct sunlight are the best storage methods in my opinion.
Temperature need not be constant, but not at the extremes. Moisture level as it comes out of the tin should be fine for long storage. Out of direct sunlight if jarred.

dap

Lurker
Dec 26, 2021
Back when I did a lot of darkroom work I would cover all my clear chemical jugs with tinfoil to block the light. It looks kind of janky, but it was an effective and cheap way of blocking light.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The question is moot for me, as I keep all my cellared jars in plastic tubs or boxes with lids. All of my “open” tins that I’ve jarred up and currently smoke from are in the drawers of an old dresser organized by blend type.

If UV light has an effect on tobacco, I assume it’s an adverse effect, so I don’t have to worry about it.

1659733001310.gif

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
As far as I know ambient light should only be a problem to some plants during growth at night time.
To be safe keep your processed tobacco products air-/watertight, away from sunlight and in a place with not much change in temperature and humidity. That is the important stuff.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My gut says out of direct sunlight and cooler rather than warmer.
Yes. Most of my jars lived in a utility room, where there was no sunlight, and electric lights on maybe 6-10 hours a week.

North guy: Please put your location in your Profile! [English border, Canadian border, or other?]
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

Reactions: noobpipes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some jars in my study in what I would describe as deep shade, two medium sized windows and a desk lamp, mostly. If it is a predominantly sunny room, you might opt to keep the jars in a dark drawer or cabinet or a closet out of sunlight. I suspect it makes little difference, but that would be my instinct.

nolan613

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 21, 2019
Augusta, GA
General rule of thumb in my experience, 35+ years is that long term storage in in a closet and what will be smoked is kept behind glass away from direct sunlight. Worked for me so far...