PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
Hello All. Does ambient light affect the aging process or harm the tobacco in any way? My wife bequeathed me an antique apothecary cabinet that has glass doors for my pipes and tobacco. I love seeing all my precious stash while smoking and contemplating what tobacco and in what pipe I will smoke next. It's in a room with decent sunlight but not direct sun. I have some concern that the tobacco may suffer due to the ambient light in the room, but really like the visual and don't want to move my stash out of sight. Thanks for any advice.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Have there been studies into the degradation of tobacco by UV light that anyone is aware of ?

For some years recently a hot topic in the wine world was the subject of "light strike" and the premature aging of champagnes exposed to light/sunlight under display conditions in shops.
Those of you with rapper-like tastes and bank accounts will know that Roederer Cristal comes in a clear glass bottle wrapped in yellow cellophane to minimise exposure to UV light.

I store all my tobacco and cigars in a darkened cupboard or in my wine cellar away from light.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I err on the side of caution and only use amber/brown coloured mason jars for my pipe tobacco to cut down on light exposure.
Interesting. I store my baccy & cigars in a darkened a/c temp controlled room. (We can have wide temperature extremes during the year.) So UV exposure isn’t an issue. But where do you get your amber mason jars ? I did a quick check and the quart size are 4x the clear glass ones I pick up locally.
I’m interested for food applications.
Thanks

Reactions: TN Jed and jpmcwjr
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Interesting. I store my baccy & cigars in a darkened a/c temp controlled room. (We can have wide temperature extremes during the year.) So UV exposure isn’t an issue. But where do you get your amber mason jars ? I did a quick check and the quart size are 4x the clear glass ones I pick up locally.
I’m interested for food applications.
Thanks
I usually get them from North Mountain Supply via Amazon. A variety of sizes are available.

Reactions: TN Jed and 5star