PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey gang, I don't know if anyone else has seen these amber-colored mason jars around, but they've started to pop up in my neck of the woods. I wonder if they would be superior to clear ones for tobacco aging, since they claim to block 99% of UV light.
I know conventional wisdom says to store tobacco in a cool, dark place, but I don't recall any specific discussion on the effects of UV light on tobacco. Maybe I'll buy some and let y'all know how they work out in 15 or 20 years :puffy:
img_4744-1-572x600.jpg

Sep 18, 2015
Seems like it would probably be a good thing, I haven’t seen em around here, we have the blue ones though.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I've used blue tinted canning jars for non-tobacco applications. Mostly for things I thought might degrade due to sunlight. For example herbal tinctures and pickled vegetables. I thought the blue tint looked nice. If you are storing in a place that never sees sunlight it may not matter much. If your jars get exposed to sun, tinted jars can't hurt.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I agree with Orley, I like to see what's happening in the jar. I store is several old wine coolers so I can control temp and humidity. Sun is not an issue. Guess my cellar isn't as big as some of you guys.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I had considered these and earlier the blue ones as I often keep jars out in the light due to lack of cellar space. And I was under the impresion any light, especialy U.V. was detrimental to tobacco long term. Maybe someone has evidence one way or the other?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
UV has to be detrimental to processed tobacco and it’s flavor components. So these jars are a great idea.
But what’s next? Pink-tinted jars to support breast cancer research? Rainbow-tinted to support LGBTXYZ preppers? Blue jars for Democrats? Red Jars for Republicans? Black jars for ANTIFA? Green jars for tree huggers?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
But what’s next? Pink-tinted jars to support breast cancer research? Rainbow-tinted to support LGBTXYZ preppers? Blue jars for Democrats? Red Jars for Republicans? Black jars for ANTIFA? Green jars for tree huggers?
Heck, they could make jars in the shape of Javan's face if they would block UV light AND allow me to see in!

Status
Not open for further replies.