PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
This unusual find is a combination of the work of two different Japanese firms. Esterd is a sub-branch of the famed Tsuge pipe company, which provided the hand-carved Billiard bowl and its silver band. The ivory stem, however, comes from Hakusui Ivory Company; best known for producing fine ivory netsukes and jewelry, they appear to have begun importing into the USA during the latter half of the '50s, and quite a bit of their work can still be found amongst internet vendors of vintage goods. Our best guess on a date for this pipe would be sometime during the 1960s.
I beg to differ. Disagree with smokingpipes.com The "amber or whatever", I will trust you on it. Though I must ask, does acryllic not get etched by acetone like other materials? Surprising that it would pass the tests recommended. As I don't know well...much of anything really in meer dating and material...The Esterd...Trust me, It's Ivory. Believe, or believe not, I am certain.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I did the red hot needle test on the red stem, it's not amber. Which, I appreciate you clearing that up. I had been back and forth on it in another post. Seems that there are many tests which can't prove it. This seemingly the only sure fire way to do so.
mvmadore, could you tell me if you've ever run into a rough patch like what you see in the picture above?
Here's a few more picture, if you can prove me wrong or right in the pictures I'll accept it. Above I said I'm certain....which, I must retract that as it's the only ivory I've dealt with...or possible ivory. The other stem fit all but one way to identify, so I have to have doubt here as well.
Actually...mvmadore...how would you like to check out the stem?
IMG_0182_zpspyxltm6x.jpg

IMG_0184_zpsvupgnavf.jpg

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I've never worked with or had any contact with any of the other "ivory" type materials. Horn tends to be more of a "layered" material rather than elephant ivory which grows like a tree with growth rings. I don't think it is sperm whale tooth as that is less commonly used and tends to be harder to work with as it is a more dense material. I doubt it is "whale bone" as that is a more porous material. I've never handled a walrus tush though I have a boar tusk and it is quite similar to a sperm whale tooth...dentin material. Elephant ivory/tusks were plentiful, and still are depending where you are, and not very costly. A small tusk yields a large amount of material for a variety of uses compared to other materials.

I don't think I be able to offer much if I had the stem.

I would try to clean it up some just to see if the "yellowing" was aging or "use"...because of the uneven yellowing I'm suspecting use discoloration which may be cleaned up to some degree.
There is so little button I'd be very careful but I'd give it a very light sanding with 1500 wet/dry and if it came out nice I'd finish it with some 2000 and a very careful polishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.