Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There were many people injured:
Meteor explodes over Russia; about 1,100 injured
http://news.yahoo.com/meteor-explodes-over-russia-1-100-injured-175838744.html

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I wonder if this meteor was junk off the big meteor that is doing a "fly by"?
NASA claims it was completely unrelated, but the timing is certainly quite the coincidence.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The following update is currently posted at SpaceWeather.com:
http://spaceweather.com/
RUSSIAN METEOR UPDATE: On Friday, February 15th at 9:30 am local time in Russia, a small asteroid struck the atmosphere over the city of Chelyabinsk and exploded. According to reports from news organizations and Russian authorities, as many as 1000 people received minor injuries from the shock wave. This is the most energetic recorded meteor strike since the Tunguska impact of 1908.

Researchers including Prof. Peter Brown of the University of Western Ontario along with NASA experts have conducted a preliminary analysis of the event. "Here is what we know so far," says Bill Cooke, head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. "The asteroid was about 15 meters in diameter and weighed approximately 7000 metric tons. It struck Earth's atmosphere at 40,000 mph (18 km/s) and broke apart about 12 to 15 miles (20 to 25 km) above Earth's surface. The energy of the resulting explosion was in the vicinity of 300 kilotons of TNT."
"A shock wave propagated down and struck the city below, causing large numbers of windows to break, some walls to collapse, and minor damage throughout the city," he continued. "When you hear about injuries, those are undoubtedly due to the effects of the shock wave, not due to fragments striking the ground. There are undoubtedly fragments on the ground, but as of this time we know of no recovered fragments that we can verify."
Videos of the event may be found here and here. In many of the videos you can hear the sound of windows shattering as the meteor's loud shock wave reaches the ground. Onlookers cry out in Russian as alarms and sirens sound in the background. This pair of wide-angle gif animations is also worth watching: #1, #2.
It is natural to wonder if this event has any connection to today's record-setting flyby of asteroid 2012 DA14. Paul Chodas of the Near Earth Object Program at JPL says no. "The Russian fireball is not related to 2012 DA14 in any way. It's an incredible coincidence that we have had these two rare events in one day."

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Without getting too dooms day about the subject. It amazes me that we know so much and ignore all of it. Have large meteors and comets struck the Earth, yes millions of times. We will be struck by a large meteor or comet in the future, making the earth uninhabitable for 100’s if not thousands of years. But we’ve spent trillions of dollars on space exploration, and have the abilities now to make trips back and forth to Mars. Mars has water the base material we need to create everything needed to survive, in fact thrive. The trillions already spent on nuclear missiles to destroy the Earth 1000 times over have already been spent. Now with these getting into more and more unstable countries, the real risk may be from us. I personally think it wouldn’t be a bad ideal to spend some trillions as a planet on creating at least a base station, equipped enough to be self-sustaining and able to expand itself into a long term colony. Just accomplishing a little thing, like preserving the human race. These things even watched as they are, move at tremendous speed and we would never have the time to accomplish this, and this would-have-could-have would be too late. We worry about global warming but all the steps we take now are using more fossil fuel to construct and maintain than they’ll ever return, and we’ll never stop countries like Russia, China and Mexico from burning fossil fuel, no matter what they claim. Do you think that people are going to stop clearing the Amazon planting farms to feed themselves? We are far better spending our money on nuclear development, storage and cold fusion technology. Those things can make a worldwide change. Paying more attention to a carbon footprint than rouge nukes, unstable governments having nuclear capabilities, and those devoted to developing them. Just seems a little more important. We’ve moved from a world that thought in decades, to one of political terms or even a year.
If the meteor that hit Russia in 1908 would have hit New York or LA it would have destroyed them. Maybe we should care a little more about important things, and a little less on the next American Idol, the latest sex scandal or who won the Super Bowl. But this is just pipe thinking.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@dragonslayer: Great comments. Unfortunately, our species as a whole remains in a very fallen state of consciousness. And, IMO, most of those at the highest levels of power in the world are psychopathic in nature. So I'm not particularly optimistic. At least not in the short term.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Interesting article on Businessweek related to the meteor. Have you wondered why almost all the videos taken are from car cams? Busineesweek explains why.
See the third video!
Car cams

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
It's amazing to me how many people have dash cam's in Europe. I have to get me one for my Jeep and Truck. Everything happen's in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.