PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like many blends of tobacco, natural phenomenon often require some time and contemplation to arrive at the experience you want. For me, it helps to not have too many people around, not that I don't like people, but it distracts. Off hours at anything, whether it is a natural place or a cathedral, really bring up the ghosts. You see what you otherwise wouldn't have seen. Sometimes you only get the full effect in hindsight, in memory.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
like Vatican City/Sistine Chapel, and the ruins in Athens would be pretty cool.
Gotta admit, the Sistine was pretty shattering. The whole scale of the basilica is meant to remind you how insignificant we are. Trekking around the Colosseum and the Forum was fascinating. Pretty damned good pizza in Roma.

The Louvre, Chartres, Notre Dame, Versailles, all wondrous places, Pigalle also, for different reasons. Taking a train from Milan to Amsterdam took me through the Alps and past amazing spaces.

All of that and much, much more is pretty cool.

But the best are the friendships formed those many many years ago on that pan Europe trip, that I still get to enjoy.

Reactions: STP

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The mundane can blow you away if you keep an open mind and really look around.
That's the essential idea behind much of macro photography:

Frozen water by a kerb:

A tree didn't wait for the cement to dry to shed:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/apDpJ7]
Concrete Impressions

This one even has my old parish church as a picture in a picture!

O Lord, how all things point to Thee!

A common, mundane stove and a macro lens:

Descensus Averni

And, some oil and water and a macro lens and a flash:

Light of a Thousand Suns

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
From an architectural standpoint, the cities of New Orleans and Amsterdam both amaze me. They're not as ornate as, say, palatial mansions or old, high dollar churches, but the consistency of creativity and attention to detail catch my eye. I used to do historic restorations on some old southern mansions and some of the more ornate ones could have kept me busy for hours and hours, examining the fine, handmade trimwork.

Perhaps not as architectural, but still very much so, Cairn Euny in rural Cornwall set me aglow, especially entering the fogou. I'm a rural type at heart, though, so it was kind of a wonderful experience. Witnessing two women speak Kernewek to each other and English to us was a gem of an experience as well.

I have not been to Chichen Itza (not Chicken Itza, Autocorrect, you inbred reject app), but the city of Na Chan (Palenque) took my breath away with its presence, as did Yaaxchilan and Toninah. Hell, some of the earthen mounds throughout the southeast do the same. Pinson Mounds in Tennessee is a marvel of effort.

In nature, I'm the type dazzled by artesian springs in the nearby creeks, a mature patch of ginseng, the smell of fresh-cut hay, and a squirrels burying acorns. I am NOT dazzled by rabbits destroying my beet crop 2 years in a row, ticks, poisonous mushrooms, or goats. Take of it what you will.

Maybe you're just intended to visit the craziest sites on earth until you find that one in Gary, Indiana that wows you and acts as muse to a collection of novels that define the 21st century. I don't know.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Visited New Orleans. And every night I’d take a walk through the graveyard across the street from my hotel. A nice 15-25 minute walk to just relax and work off a bit of dinner.
After night three or four, The consierge asked if I had just come from the graveyard. I said “yes” and told him I had been walking there after dinner for three or four nights. He told me, it’s one of the most dangerous places in the city. Muggings and assaults galore. Then handed me the paper, which detailed an assault and murder the previous evening. I count my lucky stars I’ve an ugly mug and mustn’t look too approachable.

• Haha

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
From an architectural standpoint, the cities of New Orleans and Amsterdam both amaze me. They're not as ornate as, say, palatial mansions or old, high dollar churches, but the consistency of creativity and attention to detail catch my eye. I used to do historic restorations on some old southern mansions and some of the more ornate ones could have kept me busy for hours and hours, examining the fine, handmade trimwork.

Perhaps not as architectural, but still very much so, Cairn Euny in rural Cornwall set me aglow, especially entering the fogou. I'm a rural type at heart, though, so it was kind of a wonderful experience. Witnessing two women speak Kernewek to each other and English to us was a gem of an experience as well.

I have not been to Chichen Itza (not Chicken Itza, Autocorrect, you inbred reject app), but the city of Na Chan (Palenque) took my breath away with its presence, as did Yaaxchilan and Toninah. Hell, some of the earthen mounds throughout the southeast do the same. Pinson Mounds in Tennessee is a marvel of effort.

In nature, I'm the type dazzled by artesian springs in the nearby creeks, a mature patch of ginseng, the smell of fresh-cut hay, and a squirrels burying acorns. I am NOT dazzled by rabbits destroying my beet crop 2 years in a row, ticks, poisonous mushrooms, or goats. Take of it what you will.

Maybe you're just intended to visit the craziest sites on earth until you find that one in Gary, Indiana that wows you and acts as muse to a collection of novels that define the 21st century. I don't know.
Plant Marigolds and Chrysanthemums. They get rid of ticks, mosquitos and rabbits. The Marigolds will be good for Spring and Summer, and once they die, the mums will start to flower in the fall.
I’ve used this two prong approach for years.
Bonus, both types of flowers are easy to grow and plant. And even though most mum types I plant are annuals, I harvest the seeds for the next season... ditto my marigolds.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
Had a bit of a fright. Out in Tucson for business. Found this as I entered my hotel room on the floor. First time ever I saw a camel spider. Harmless but don’t want him in my room.D1460156-9C69-417D-A836-1E83D909611C.jpeg

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Plant Marigolds and Chrysanthemums. They get rid of ticks, mosquitos and rabbits. The Marigolds will be good for Spring and Summer, and once they die, the mums will start to flower in the fall.
I’ve used this two prong approach for years.
Bonus, both types of flowers are easy to grow and plant. And even though most mum types I plant are annuals, I harvest the seeds for the next season... ditto my marigolds.
I have not had luck with marigolds repelling anything. I do have a recipe for rabbit repellant that works very well, but of course it has to be reapplied after every rain.

I have gone so far as to interplant the hell out of marigolds throughout the garden. It did not affect aphids, flea beetles, mosquitoes, horn worms, or any rodents. I have seen sprayed pyrethrin work wonders, but the natural aura of several strains of marigold appear to not be strong enough to battle the Tennessee pests.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
Get there quick before its completely destroyed by social media "influencers"!
I drove out there last year, before the local news told everyone how wonderful it was that year, but it was still crowded. This was of course right after the covid lockdowns started, so the reserve itself was closed but there's roadside parking for 3 or 4 miles to the east and another mile or two to the west. I got a lot of really good photos. But I wanted more! I went out the following week, and there wasn't a damn place to park anywhere. If you saw the video I posted above, that was about two miles from our home, in an empty field. Lots of poppies, very few people, and luckily, no rattlesnakes.