PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
There’s a recent thread about the St. Louis Arch, which I thought was OK. The Empire State Building was better. Niagara Falls, even better… particularly on the Canadian side. I’ve visited White Sands, Alcatraz, Cape Canaveral (space shuttle launch), Graceland, Chichen Itza, plus many, many other sights, but I’ve never been blown away. Some say that the Grand Canyon might do the trick, or maybe the Giant Sequoias… perhaps The Pyramids of Giza, The Great Wall of China, or The Roman Colosseum. Anybody like to share any sightseeing experiences that were amazing?

Reactions: JOHN72

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Another was the main in-take center, Magadan, where prisoners were sent to gulags in the various work camp prisons. I was allowed to snip a piece of barbed wire for my collection. The level of human misery collected there would have been amazing. Magadan was the chief receiving point for those Soviet citizens destined to be starved in mines and the related construction projects required to get the gold to Moscow.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
I know I've posted this before, but...

View attachment 85810
Antelope Valley Poppy Preserve, Lancaster, CA, April 2019. @ksman75 add this to your to do list come next April!
This year, it was too dry, not enough rainfall. Last year was great. Plenty of rainfall, and hectares of poppies. This is my granddaughter, DIL and son, last year.

Then there are these, only a small sampling.

Something soothing...

Poppies.......poppies, poppies

DSC_0037.JPGDSC_0018.JPGDSC_0014.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0009.JPGDSC_0023.JPG

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The entry into the Yosemite Valley at sunset and dusk. The Valley is magnificent in winter, when the park is largely deserted and peaceful, not filled by idiots wielding boomboxes. Hiking thru the snow I came upon a small chapel and upon entering found a piano. So I sat down and played while watching the snow falling. Bach preludes, some of Pictures At An Exhibition, a little ragtime, whatever came to mind.

Paris at night seen from the observation deck on the Eiffel Tower ain't half bad, nor is the Plaza in Santa Fé New Mexico, around Thanksgiving when it is festooned with luminarios.

Walking across the Golden Gate bridge is wonderful.

Point Lobos is a photographer's dream.

ksman75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2016
Lancaster, California
The entry into the Yosemite Valley at sunset and dusk. The Valley is magnificent in winter, when the park is largely deserted and peaceful, not filled by idiots wielding boomboxes. Hiking thru the snow I came upon a small chapel and upon entering found a piano. So I sat down and played while watching the snow falling. Bach preludes, some of Pictures At An Exhibition, a little ragtime, whatever came to mind.

Paris at night seen from the observation deck on the Eiffel Tower ain't half bad, nor is the Plaza in Santa Fé New Mexico, around Thanksgiving when it is festooned with luminarios.

Walking across the Golden Gate bridge is wonderful.

Point Lobos is a photographer's dream.
Way back in 1980, my brother and I borrowed a friend's tent trailer and headed to Sequoia for a long memorial day weekend. When we arrived at the south (hwy 198 through Three Rivers) entrance, we were told the park was all but closed due to a heavy snowfall that winter, and if we wanted we could turn around, and our reservation fees would be refunded, or we could take our chances.

We chose adventure! The only camp grounds open were at Lodgepole, and they had only cleared the main parking lot and the first couple hundred feet of the roads in the campgrounds.

I took, if memory serves me correctly, 23 rolls of mostly 36 exposure film on that trip, but it was so worth it.

Soft white everywhere, solitude, peace...it was amazing!

Emerging wildlife, deer, bear, marmots, and so many others was abundant. The snow was still three to four feet deep in most places, and near streams, the early wildflowers and snow plants (Sarcodes - Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcodes) were everywhere. And best of all, almost no other people!

Though I've been to Sequoia, the Redwoods and Yosemite many times, it was never better than this one trip.

Aug 1, 2012
There are certainly a lot more in nature and architecture than the 8 things I mentioned seeing ?. I think there is still hope…?
Yeah, but from what I've seen over 4 continents, there's not much "better".

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2012
The Burj Khalifa, no better, just more. Extend that out to what you want to see, bigger falls, bigger canyons, bigger structures. It's not better, just more. If you choose to see amazing things as nothing interesting, that's your perception. Not wrong, not bad, just your perception.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
The Burj Khalifa, no better, just more. Extend that out to what you want to see, bigger falls, bigger canyons, bigger structures. It's not better, just more. If you choose to see amazing things as nothing interesting, that's your perception. Not wrong, not bad, just your perception.
I think you’re misinterpreting my message… I find many things interesting, but riding the maid of the mist did not blow me away, and I never saw the Grand Canyon. Nonetheless, there is still a lot I haven’t seen on this continent. In addition to the locations I mentioned that I would like to see, I think Christ The Redeemer (Brazil), Petra (Jordan), other areas in Italy… like Vatican City/Sistine Chapel, and the ruins in Athens would be pretty cool. We’re planning on doing some traveling… So maybe I can seek out some of these “bucket list” locations.

Reactions: kurtbob

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
So much to see in London: St Paul’s Cathedral, London Tower, Parliament, and 1/2 hour outside is Hampton Court and the amazing Garden Maze. Harrod’s Is great for people watching, and there’s the British Museum.
Rome is also fantastic, plus a jaunt into Vatican City is a must. (I ate gelato after every meal? stuff was addictive)

Reactions: STP

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Cincinnati Zoo
Memphis in May BBQ competition is epic (I’m a barbecue aficionado as well as a BBQ snob)
Illinois Railway Museum.... Though check schedule to see what equipment is operating, some days not much, other days are just chock full of wonderful stuff, love the 30’s Art Deco trains that ran from Chicago to California. So over the top adorned with beautiful gold trim, high end furnishings, and plush comfortable rooms. 3C300D30-2A7F-4532-960A-16EA2D921DA6.jpegFD08E4DD-215E-484C-80BD-D077F77CBF89.jpeg41D1B3DE-3669-4735-BDAB-EC91316494C8.jpeg

Aug 1, 2012
I think you’re misinterpreting my message… I find many things interesting, but riding the maid of the mist did not blow me away, and I never saw the Grand Canyon. Nonetheless, there is still a lot I haven’t seen on this continent. In addition to the locations I mentioned that I would like to see, I think Christ The Redeemer (Brazil), Petra (Jordan), other areas in Italy… like Vatican City/Sistine Chapel, and the ruins in Athens would be pretty cool. We’re planning on doing some traveling… So maybe I can seek out some of these “bucket list” locations.
I think we're talking about the same thing but you are saying there is something better out there. What I'm saying is, they're not better, just more...or less. If you don't see anything in Niagara Falls or the Empire State Building, you won't see anything in Angel Falls, the Burj Khalifa or the Grand Canyon.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I think we're talking about the same thing but you are saying there is something better out there. What I'm saying is, they're not better, just more...or less. If you don't see anything in Niagara Falls or the Empire State Building, you won't see anything in Angel Falls, the Burj Khalifa or the Grand Canyon.
You’re basing your perception of reality as universal. Just because I didn’t find Niagara Falls to be fascinating doesn’t mean I might not like another waterfall, and I certainly wouldn’t compare a waterfall or a building to how I might perceive the Grand Canyon. It’s nonsensical. We’ll continue to agree to disagree. More relevant would be what have you seen that was amazing?

Reactions: Latakia Dave