PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I thought I'd start this to help me keep track of what I find works for me (and what doesn't) as my skills progress. I'll try to make posts addressing single issues rather than long winded posts that can be overly comprehensive. Hopefully when I post about needing a better solution for something someone will have a suggestion or even try this instead of that ideas.

This is just for rank amateur stuff as I leave the tricky stuff to the professionals. ?

Right now I find, whether routine cleaning after smoking or cleaning of a newly arrived estate pipe, hot water flushing, pipe cleaners, paper towels, and a little elbow grease is highly effective. I did feel a little weird the first time I put a pipe under a stream of running hot water but I quickly got used to it even on more expensive pipes.

If a pipe is in good shape and just needed a good cleansing with water I'm really liking these Fender (the guitar people) microfiber polishing cloths for a final polish before putting my pipes away:

fender.jpg

I got a 2 pack for $6.95 on amazon.

They work really well for removing fingerprints, etc.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That sounds right to me. People love to involve machinery, but that is pretty heavy handed for many pipe restoration chores. Often, less is more, and no rpm or horsepower is required. I don't even own a reamer, though that may make some slap their foreheads or want to slap mine. Some pipe rebuilds require the whole workshop, but restoration not so much.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yep. Trying to avoid power equipment.

Been having good luck de-oxidizing stems. Had a heavily oxidized stem clean up well by starting with a hand rubbing with barkeeper's friend made into a paste. Did that several times and then spent a fair amount of time working through various grits of micromesh. I got this set of micromesh pads from amazon:

micromesh.jpg

I find that I could probably do without the 1800, 3200, and 3600 grits. It has also helped to not try to "spot" polish the stem unless it has a very mild and small problem. If the stem is mostly ugly it turns out better to just work the whole thing over with the whole grit and work my way up through the grits.

After the micromesh I applied obsidian oil as evenly as I could with my fingers and let is sit for several minutes. I'm not sure if letting it sit is necessary but it's what I did. I wiped it down with a clean cloth and then polished it with my Fender microfiber cloth. I did spend quite a bit of time with the 8000 and 12000 grits and this is the first time I've really got a stem to finish with that nice shiny almost mirror like gleam.

I've got a couple of stems to go back and revisit as I can see where I didn't quite get all of the oxidation removed. It seems like patience and just keep working with the pads is the key here.

I've ordered some different micromesh "cloths" that come with a foam block and are larger than the pads I currently have so I guess I'll find out if they make things just a bit easier. I'll report after using them.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I use a set of micromesh in the same grits but they‘re the slightly larger cloth rectangles with the foam block you mentioned @shanez. I don’t find the foam terribly useful, but like the cloth form. You can bend it around a square rod or file and get into the crease of the button without reshaping it. I also find that they work better and stay clean/usable longer if I keep them wet under a tap at a very slow drizzle.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
They have the sticks, but you can always cut the squares into rectangles to fit where you need them. Prior to giving up abrasives altogether, I would do that for forehand stems.
Yeah, I was cutting them up and gluing them to tongue depressors, with predictable results. It's less about the shape than having something some stiffness to help with corners and such. Got me a brand, spanking new set of micromesh sticks on the way now though!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’ve been thinking about getting some micromesh pads (or equivalent) as up until now I have been using wet/dry sandpaper. Can anyone recommend a brand? I live in NZ so would have to be from a retailer that ships internationally.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Micromesh pads are a go-to for me, but like anything else you use on a pipe, use a light light light hand.

I also use mineral oil instead of obsidian oil on the stems. Very cheap and easy to find with great results.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I’ve been thinking about getting some micromesh pads (or equivalent) as up until now I have been using wet/dry sandpaper. Can anyone recommend a brand? I live in NZ so would have to be from a retailer that ships internationally.
I order from Amazon so I don't know what you have available there but you might find something with a thorough web search.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I believe Mircro-Mesh is a brand. I'm not sure there are equivalent brands or products, especially for the finer grits, 6000, 8000, and 12,000, which are the ones that really put on the shine.

As for someone who ships to Aotearoa, I've no clue, I'm afraid.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I believe Mircro-Mesh is a brand. I'm not sure there are equivalent brands or products, especially for the finer grits, 6000, 8000, and 12,000, which are the ones that really put on the shine.

Cool. Knowing that it is a brand is helpful as I just found some locally ??

Reactions: mingc

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai

There’s 3M lapping film, which goes up to .05 micron, which is about 500,000 grit

Status
Not open for further replies.