PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Silvrbdgr

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2023
Navarre, FL
I didn’t think he was actually asking. he was bragging in a question format. This is a classic codger trait.
“Do you think money grows on trees?”
“Can’t you see the Damn ‘do not trespass’ sign?”
“What in the hell is wrong with this place , no chairs to rest?”!!
Spot on sir. As I enjoy a bowl full of PA...

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
According to Webster’s dictionary a Codger is:

An often mildly eccentric and usually elderly fellow
“an old codger”

Heck this most likely defines the greater portion of the Venn Diagram of Pipe Smokers- me included😂
Thanks for your Service.
I spent some time at Bragg. 1980-1984 325th Abn Infantry Brigade- “Let’sGo!”

Laphroag - a good smoky one.

I left Bragg after Grenada in early ‘84 for WGermany. My Battalion was next to yours, directly in front of the Red Beret NCO Club.

Ahhhh Strippers on base and on the US Army’s payroll — sadly, we shall never see such days again! Thank you for your service.

“All-The-Way!” —and then some.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Title edited for caps. Thanks for your service, which in my book earns you all the Codger you like.

A little background. I'm 54, a combat veteran, have more gray hair than black (earned and proud of every one of them), paratrooper and current LEO. I've been smoking pipes for almost a month now. For my tobaccos I currently have Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, Half and Half and Prince Albert. (Waiting on my local shop to get in some regular SWR.) I really enjoy all of them.

Today, my wife surprised me with a new Rossi Notte 8101. I am loving this pipe. It is a world of difference from my Idea Pipes army that I got through Amazon.

My conundrum is I want to smoke this pipe all the time. When I am smoking, If someone asks me anything I just sorta grunt or "humpf", pipe firmly clenched in my jaw. I long to be out front whilst smoking just to tell people to get off my lawn. Am I turning into a codger?
YES

Hunter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2022
MD
I have been trying a lot of tobaccos lately. I really like some of them.But I still hit a pouch of half and half 2 times a week, it' still pretty smooth and tast and smells good. But I'm starting to like my English blends.

J2005

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
I’m fixing to turn forty and about the same here.

“These damn kids today” I say as I puff away, “they know nothing of the struggles of keeping an old truck going! They just get a new whatever anytime they fart”

Think it’s just about that time for us 😂

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
My wife heard me tell a pup bullshit when he tried to tell me one can of Copenhagen was just like the one l wanted to buy. After we got to the truck she asked if l had ever imagined l would be codger. Thats the day l knew l had made it.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho

I left Bragg after Grenada in early ‘84 for WGermany. My Battalion was next to yours, directly in front of the Red Beret NCO Club.

Ahhhh Strippers on base and on the US Army’s payroll — sadly, we shall never see such days again! Thank you for your service.

I know the Red Beret Club. The Theater was close by as well.
So, were you in the 505th or 504th?
Hope you enjoyed Germany.
I was in Echo, 325th. I was a T.O.W. ,Anti-tank gunner back then.
I ETS’d in July 84! Joined the Idaho National Guard and retired after 38 years total.
I was in jumpmaster school when Grenada kicked off. 2nd Brigade was DRF 2 I believe? We did not go to Grenada because we were an Anti-tank company.
So many people were gone from jumpmaster course they canceled it and I had to go back and finish it a month later. I’ve got some amazing, great memories from my time at Fort Bragg and 82nd. It’s always good to connect with a fellow service member and for sure paratrooper!
My wife was born in New Jersey. When we visit her Sister, we go down “on the shore”- Lavalette and Avalon.
I like me some smoky Scotch too.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Codgers have nothing to do with computers or smartphones.
Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble.
I tried to get a codger pal of mine to join some forums, then explained the internet and cellphones to him.
He called my phone a “pocket television “.
That’s a codger. The rest of us are mere poseurs.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I know the Red Beret Club. The Theater was close by as well.
So, were you in the 505th or 504th?
Hope you enjoyed Germany.
I was in Echo, 325th. I was a T.O.W. ,Anti-tank gunner back then.
I ETS’d in July 84! Joined the Idaho National Guard and retired after 38 years total.
I was in jumpmaster school when Grenada kicked off. 2nd Brigade was DRF 2 I believe? We did not go to Grenada because we were an Anti-tank company.
So many people were gone from jumpmaster course they canceled it and I had to go back and finish it a month later. I’ve got some amazing, great memories from my time at Fort Bragg and 82nd. It’s always good to connect with a fellow service member and for sure paratrooper!
My wife was born in New Jersey. When we visit her Sister, we go down “on the shore”- Lavalette and Avalon.
I like me some smoky Scotch too.

Am I right? Is your username an anagram for Laphroaig Scotch? Cause that’s what I see!

The Red Beret was literally in my front yard! B Co. All American 82nd Signal Battalion! Next to you and adjacent to the ADA and the Medics. I used to sneak into the Medics Mess Hall — they ate better!

Did I like Germany? 🇩🇪— The Mark was 4 to the dollar! The Germans said the problem with America’s Soldiers is that they’re over paid, over fed, over sexed and over here!

I was a Multichannel Communications Equipment Operator with a TS in Division. Later a driver on a self propelled gun (8 inch) then FDC school - Artillery Fire Direction Computer. Drill Sergeant on Fort Leonard Wood 1998-2000. C-2-10 Infanty and F-35 Engineers for anyone that took basic there, I’m sorry. Ended up Instructing NCO Academy and running MOS schools as First Sergeant, Operations NCO and an Instructor, simultaneously. It’s a wonder I can still talk. Got out in 2007.

Remember having 10 beers at the Flaming Mug or closing the Cellar? How about the Stab and Jab on post? They didn’t call Fort Bragg Fayettenam for nothing!

Thank you for your service, brother!

You really made me smile! I think 🤔 I’ll have a bowl of Granger…

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast

We were in West Germany at the same time. I was at Ramstein from '83 - '86 as an Air Force brat. I graduated from high school there.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
We were in West Germany at the same time. I was at Ramstein from '83 - '86 as an Air Force brat. I graduated from high school there.

Small world and getting smaller. I was in Frankfurt. The Kasserne is no longer there. It’s German housing today. I’d love to visit again! Ok, so I’m sure you attended the Monsters of Rock Concert? VanHalen, Black Sabbath et al? I talked to Eddies wife Valerie through a chain link fence. Very nice person. Good times. Saw David Gilmour perform in a small opera house.

@slvrbdgr… this is one helluva welcome thread, Bro

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Small world and getting smaller. I was in Frankfurt. The Kasserne is no longer there. It’s German housing today. I’d love to visit again! Ok, so I’m sure you attended the Monsters of Rock Concert? VanHalen, Black Sabbath et al? I talked to Eddies wife Valerie through a chain link fence. Very nice person. Good times. Saw David Gilmour perform in a small opera house.

@slvrbdgr… this is one helluva welcome thread, Bro
Unfortunately I didn't make it to Monsters of Rock, but I did see Iron Maiden in '83, and Scorpions in '84 in Ludwigshafen. Both great concerts.

• Love
Reactions: Grangerous

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Am I right? Is your username an anagram for Laphroaig Scotch? Cause that’s what I see!

The Red Beret was literally in my front yard! B Co. All American 82nd Signal Battalion! Next to you and adjacent to the ADA and the Medics. I used to sneak into the Medics Mess Hall — they ate better!

Did I like Germany? 🇩🇪— The Mark was 4 to the dollar! The Germans said the problem with America’s Soldiers is that they’re over paid, over fed, over sexed and over here!

I was a Multichannel Communications Equipment Operator with a TS in Division. Later a driver on a self propelled gun (8 inch) then FDC school - Artillery Fire Direction Computer. Drill Sergeant on Fort Leonard Wood 1998-2000. C-2-10 Infanty and F-35 Engineers for anyone that took basic there, I’m sorry. Ended up Instructing NCO Academy and running MOS schools as First Sergeant, Operations NCO and an Instructor, simultaneously. It’s a wonder I can still talk. Got out in 2007.

Remember having 10 beers at the Flaming Mug or closing the Cellar? How about the Stab and Jab on post? They didn’t call Fort Bragg Fayettenam for nothing!

Thank you for your service, brother!

You really made me smile! I think 🤔 I’ll have a bowl of Granger…
I really like peated Scotch.
fralphog is a unique anagram like use of my first Name, Ralph and an old nickname some guys gave me when we played ultimate Frizbee during the Aviation Captain Career Course at Fort Rucker, AL.
The ‘ol USSR had a missile system called the FROG 7. They tagged me as Free Ralph Over Ground, FROG for my direct, assault style play during games.
At Bragg I remember having a beer vending machine in the orderly room outside the 1SG office- .50 cents a beer! Can’t forget the Dragon Club either.
Thank you for your Service as well!