PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hobby again! Is pipe smoking a "hobby"—really? Is drinking alcohol a hobby?

Granted, if you collect pipes, or pipe tins, or masses of diverse tobaccos just to have a collection you won't smoke, then those are hobbies.

Reactions: marconi

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
Hobby again! Is pipe smoking a "hobby"—really? Is drinking alcohol a hobby?

Granted, if you collect pipes, or pipe tins, or masses of diverse tobaccos just to have a collection you won't smoke, then those are hobbies.
Your comment about the word ‘hobby’ made me curious. I went to my dictionary, and it defines a hobby as ‘an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation.’ I can’t speak for anyone else, but that fits my pipe smoking word for word.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, good point. For me a hobby is collecting things, or making things. So my definition is narrower than your source....which is?

It's a hobby for anyone who thinks it is. Just don't want folks to think it has to be a hobby!

Reactions: WildTurkeySurprise

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
OK, good point. For me a hobby is collecting things, or making things. So my definition is narrower than your source....which is?

It's a hobby for anyone who thinks it is. Just don't want folks to think it has to be a hobby!
My initial source was my phone app, which uses dictionary.com. I cross-checked with Mirriam-Webster: their definition is the same, only shorter. Man, I wish it didn’t have to be a hobby. If smoking a pipe paid a manageable salary, I’d turn pro in a heartbeat! Haha

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
If you want a really nice blend which is readily available from most good tabacco shops.

Peterson early morning pipe. Formally dunhill.

I love it
I’m most of the way through a tin of Early Morning Pipe. ?? I like it, but it is a little lighter than I prefer. I have it sometimes now as a second bowl after something more substantial, for those times I’m just not ready to be finished smoking.

ukparagolfer

Lurker
May 1, 2018
UK
I’m most of the way through a tin of Early Morning Pipe. ?? I like it, but it is a little lighter than I prefer. I have it sometimes now as a second bowl after something more substantial, for those times I’m just not ready to be finished smoking.
I always pretty much smoke this blend because of the mildness of it.

I usually smoke in my way to and from work as a chill before the day starts and at the end of the day before I get home.

St bruno flake you can get at the supermarkets is surprisingly good too

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, UK markets! What we don't have here is pipe tobacco in the big chains.

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.