PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Good Morning,
I am contemplating purchasing a Altinok Santa Clause pipe to create a new holiday tradition. The issue is that at nearly $250.00 dollars US i wanted to do some homework first. Does anyone have experiance with them? What were your thoughts on the product recieved? Quality of the carving? Smoking qualities? Fit and finish and finally delivery time. I appreciate any assistance.
Cheers,
Piperl12

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
I haven't smoked their Santa Clause pipe, but I've smoked many meerschaum pipes from Altinok and I think the overall quality of their pipes are good. I only smoke meerschaum pipes by the way and I rank Altinok on the high end. Most of my Meers are from Altinok as is this one, that I smoke everyday:

I've lost count how many times I've linked this, I need to take pics of all my meers and post them.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
buzzbegone that is a beautiful meer. The coloring is fantastic. I also notice a high luster as well. What do you polish it with?

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Buzz that is a beautiful pipe. My Meers are quickly becoming my favorite pipes.

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
"Regarding my meer(s); I don't really do anything special with them other than smoking them. I would probably make the elder meer collectors here cringe, because I take my meers everywhere: fixing cars, fishing, hunting, work, tattoo shops, gentlemen clubs, in bed with wifey, etc. And I don't always keep my hands clean or grease free while handling them, and I do handle them bare-skinned/sans gloves. I only run a soft pipe cleaner through the stem/mouthpiece and I gently clean the inside of the bowl with cotton q-tips. I don"t re-wax my meers either, I believe accepting the imperfections adds to their beauty."_quoted by me from another post (lol)

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
if it helps I do wipe the exterior of my meers with the same clothe I use to wipe my eyeglasses. I think it's some kinda microfiber fabric of some sorts.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I give not much extra special care to my meer either. Clean hands is about it. No gloves, etc. I have some micro fiber towels, I'll give it a try.
Thanks!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Hi Piperl12
I bought an Altinok pipe about a year ago. It smokes very well. The carving is beautiful. The stem fits well and the pipe fits the case well. Their response was quick and professional when I contacted them by email. The delivery was a little bit slow, but the pipe was well worth waiting for.
I only hope I can wait long enough to give it some color. I only smoke it occasionally because with my life style I prefer a pipe that I can easily stick in my pocket and not worry about giving it a little abuse.
Altinok_zps1fce1b2c.jpg

I expect you won't have any regrets if you get one.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Buzz, that is one of the most beautiful pipes I have ever seen, it really speaks to me and definitely would be my main smoker if I had something like that too.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Buzz, that is an awesome meer. If you don't mind, how long have you been smoking it?
@piper, Altinok is a nice pipe and a real nice smoke. I have one. It took a while to get here.

Nothing against the Altimok but if you add $50 bucks to that budget you should check out the Baki meerschaum site (heck you might find something for $250). It'll be at your doorsteps rather than 2 months. Reason is the Altimok had to be make and the Baki is always in stock.
On the quality of smokes with a meerschaum , I find myself grossly neglecting my briars since adding four meerschaums over the summer (1 Altimok 1 SMS and 2 Bakis).

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
Thanks I've been smoking Meers all my puffin life. Also just want to add I'm not sure what grade of meerschaum (probably 5-6) Altinok uses for their pipes, but out of my all my meers they seem to color the fastest. I just got my first Baki pipe though (I'm sure is a grade 6 meerschaum) and it's also coloring very fast. Regardless, I'm sure if you order that Santa Claus Meer, it won't remain white for long.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I only collect and smoke Meerschaums and I give Altinok (and Baki) thumbs up! I own five Baki's and several pipes purchased from Altinok - all excellent. By the way, Mr.Baki is a carver and Mr.Altinok is a dealer, selling pipes created by various carvers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I will pretend I don't like meers in order not to start accumulating them too.

citrine

Lurker
Nov 12, 2012
I have bought many Baki pipes (15), and I have also bought several Altinok pipes.
Based on my own experience, Baki was a thousand times better with regards to service and quality. But this is my experience, which many share, but there are also some who think otherwise. I suppose it really depends on your luck when buy meerschaum pipes as it is handmade and especially made to order.
Other than Baki, I would think that you would have better luck buying ready meer pipes from Ebay dealers as you can see what you are getting and you get protection by Ebay if the item is not up to scratch and there are problems with the seller (important to see Ebay seller rating).
Just a note, you may want to check the resale value of the individual carver's pipes if you are keen to resell your pipe in the future, resale values can vary widely among brands and carvers. Good luck.

Aug 14, 2012
I got a completely useless pipe from them. Would never buy from them again. In particular do not believe them when they say "we will make one just like it." Buyer beware, buyer stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.