Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I recently purchased an IMP and am enjoying. Looking to purchase another nicer Meer. I'm looking for some folks that own pipes from both carvers to provide their opinions. Which do you prefer and why?

I was looking at the Altinay site and found out through an inquiry the draft holes in his pipes are 3 mm. IMP are advertised as being 4 mm. I like a wide open draw so this is kind of a big deal. Both carvers make nice looking pipes, at least to my eye.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've got both now after just getting an Altinay. They both smoke great and I can't tell much difference in the draw. The Altinay is nice but it's definitely a more delicate pipe with the screw in fittings. Where the Altinay has a little flex in this area, the IMP is solid. I'm hoping these different meerschaum makers use a universal system because I have a SMS with screw in fittings as well and there will come the inevitable point where I'll need to replace them in both pipes.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I've got both now after just getting an Altinay. They both smoke great and I can't tell much difference in the draw. The Altinay is nice but it's definitely a more delicate pipe with the screw in fittings. Where the Altinay has a little flex in this area, the IMP is solid. I'm hoping these different meerschaum makers use a universal system because I have a SMS with screw in fittings as well and there will come the inevitable point where I'll need to replace them in both pipes.
Exactly the point - worn out or broken fittings are easy to obtain and replace - worn out threads in meerschaum not so much... All of my meerschaum pipes either came with or have been converted to nylon/delrin push/pull fittings... I do open up the tenon to 1/8"

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I have four altinays and don’t have any screw in fittings. Plus the ones I have all have sturdy silver work on the stem, so I don’t worry much about breaking them that way.

I’d check with Said at Altinay about the fittings if you’re worried about them. Or just buy one of his spigots or army mounts. They’re solid in my experience.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have four altinays and don’t have any screw in fittings. Plus the ones I have all have sturdy silver work on the stem, so I don’t worry much about breaking them that way.

I’d check with Said at Altinay about the fittings if you’re worried about them. Or just buy one of his spigots or army mounts. They’re solid in my experience.
Unfortunately, that doesn't overcome the 3 mm draft hole. I may try one anyway, he carves some nice looking pipes.

Said.ALTINAY

Might Stick Around
Hello guys
We bore our pipes generally 3mm but can be modified to 4 mm in suitable pipes you like.
In addition, we use 4mm on some pipes and in the orders given upon request.
We also consider drilling 4mm after that all of our pipes.

About screws ; we use screw systems in our small pipes and briar style push pull tenon system in pipes above a certain size. You can check fitting system of pipes from product photos or you can ask us directly.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Unfortunately, that doesn't overcome the 3 mm draft hole. I may try one anyway, he carves some nice looking pipes.
I drill everything out as I prefer, so that's never really a deal breaker for me. I bought a small Tekin Apple for $80 that I redrilled and banded myself, and it's my all-time favorite flake pipe. The mods give me more ownership in the pipe.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I drill everything out as I prefer, so that's never really a deal breaker for me. I bought a small Tekin Apple for $80 that I redrilled and banded myself, and it's my all-time favorite flake pipe. The mods give me more ownership in the pipe.

I don't really have the equipment or the desire to modify pipes. Easier to find something I like on the shelf or but artisan.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm sorry, one more question. What is a resin stem? I assume that is the cheaper, softer stems similar to what is standard in a Missouri Meerschaum but a bit nicer?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
All the meers I own are white (looking inside the bowl), most are coated with wax, some of them have a heavier coat of wax making them look a stronger color of yellow/honey color.

I inquired about this one and the response said it was the natural color, I found that questionable since the inside of the bowl was obviously snow white.

Reactions: Merton

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Other question I have. Is the natural color of meerschaum sometimes this yellow or dirty white? If yes, does that mean it's a lower grade than the snow white? And how will it color?

Looks like the beeswax is coloring this particular pipe, judging by the white of the bowl interior. A pure white meerschaum uses a specially refined beeswax, as its normal color is tan or brownish. I think I prefer this coloration. Shank will color first, in my experience, then anything can happen--including losing interest.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy