PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I like the comfort that a Softie Bit offers the teeth but I find them too thick and normally take them off after a while.

Has anyone got any recommendations to get a similar smoking experience without them?

I’ve tried electrical tape but that turned into a gooey mess and would need replacing regularly I think.

Reactions: ofafeather

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Vulcanite stems are softer than acrylic, so that helps a little, bearing in mind that the staff that give specs on online sites don't always know the difference and report that incorrectly. This has happened twice to me; the pipes have been light weight, so i haven't complained.

I wouldn't use electric tape. It's not food grade and is probably not to be ingested.

It wouldn't look good, but medical tape might be less dubious and at least less thick and "juicy."

Likewise, medical tubing cut into softy bits might be more sterile and suitable for the purpose. Some people do this just to save money.

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
I like the comfort that a Softie Bit offers the teeth but I find them too thick and normally take them off after a while.

Has anyone got any recommendations to get a similar smoking experience without them?

I’ve tried electrical tape but that turned into a gooey mess and would need replacing regularly I think.

I just ordered some softy bits from their site. When I received them, they are much thinner than what I had purchased in the store. If they are embossed with their name, I would say that maybe up your ally.

Mar 1, 2014

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Vulcanite stems are softer than acrylic, so that helps a little, bearing in mind that the staff that give specs on online sites don't always know the difference and report that incorrectly. This has happened twice to me; the pipes have been light weight, so i haven't complained.

I wouldn't use electric tape. It's not food grade and is probably not to be ingested.

It wouldn't look good, but medical tape might be less dubious and at least less thick and "juicy."

Likewise, medical tubing cut into softy bits might be more sterile and suitable for the purpose. Some people do this just to save money.
I’m having issues with oxidised vulcanite stems at the moment. I agree, they are great when they are clean and aren’t brown and tasting like the Seven Circles of Hell.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I just ordered some softy bits from their site. When I received them, they are much thinner than what I had purchased in the store. If they are embossed with their name, I would say that maybe up your ally.
I was having an issue getting the branded ones in the U.K - the bits were cheap enough to order from the U.S but the postage was ridiculous when you take the weight of what is being posted into account.
The ones available here are too thick, it feels like you’re smoking the business end of a baseball bat sometimes.

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I've been using the dry vinyl friction tape for a couple of years now. Works well for me.
Do you have a brand name to search for? I’ve just had a look for “dry vinyl friction tape” online and it brought up: audio tape, vinyl upholstery tape, adhesive for rugs, sound deadening tape and some music by a band called “Dry Cleaning 12” tapes”.

Shrink tubing works very well on pipes you want to protect but don't want to give up the thin feel of the stem. It lasts and lasts and adds no funky flavors. puffy

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011