Alright, Serious Question of The Day: How Do You Like Your Eggs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My understanding is that mass produced eggs are washed and that eliminates a protective membrane on the outer shell increasing the chance of bacteria entering the egg.
Back in the 60's we would visit my great grandparents on a farm near Dyersburg, TN. and every morning they would grab eggs from the chicken coop before breakfast. What didn't get eaten for breakfast sat out on the table all day in a basket.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
My understanding is that mass produced eggs are washed and that eliminates a protective membrane on the outer shell increasing the chance of bacteria entering the egg.
I heard that too. I swear, leave it up to the FDA and the Department of Agriculture to make something unsafe by attempting to make it safer.
What didn't get eaten for breakfast sat out on the table all day in a basket.
Yep, or used to bake cakes and pies later in the day once my grandma decided we needed something sweet for after supper.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
What I call "Egg Toast" or "Egg In A Basket". Put a hole in a piece of bread, drop in an egg and fry in butter.

We call them "One Eye Monsters". The kids loved them like that when they were little.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I recall when I was out in the bush and around the Chup'ik and Yup'ik folks that they would like gathering the duck and goose eggs after they had been incubated for awhile. Like to the point of a partially formed gosling inside the egg. Nice and chunky! Yum!

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I order over easy when I'm out, but they're good any which way. I'm a little surprised no one has gone with soft boiled yet. You'd think that would be the pipe smoker's favorite: labor intensive and high maintenance. 8)

Silverback

Might Stick Around
Feb 26, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
Oh so many ways do I like my eggs! Two slices of bread with the center rounds cut out. Then fry all that in butter to crisp up on both sides and drop an egg in the hole. Nest eggs, farmers eggs or what ever you call them they're good. Three poached it a bowl, butter, chives, salt and pepper with hash and rye toast is a go to also.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Poached over scrapple is my current favorite, but when I was a kid, my dad would cube up buttered toast, put it in a mug and add two eggs over easy. Stir it up, add salt and pepper and you have the best before-school meal ever. Love them sons o' bitches!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Poached over scrapple
Live(d) in or around Pennsylvania did you? I've only had scrapple once, but it was delicious. The girl I was dating at the time had an aunt from Pennsylvania. Learned it was Pennsylvania Dutch treat, very similar in nature to our liver mush/pudding, just with a little more of the remnants than just liver thrown in. It was pretty tasty stuff, when fried up right.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yup. Born and raised Philadelphia. Every fall, the local Menonite churches have an Apple Butter Frolick, where you can see fresh scrapple being made, and get it served (loose, not fried) over bread with apple butter. I prefer it griddle fried, myself, with maple syrup.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I went to that same girls families church for something similar, but it didn't include the scrapple. It was simply just for making the apple butter, which was an all day affair. I loved it. All these little old women showed up and to thank me for stirring a big ass kettle full of apple butter for an entire day I was fed all the good food I could ever want. Plus it didn't hurt that I got to take home a whole case of apple butter. There's was always so damn good.
Edit: Damn it! Now I'm in need of some scrapple with no where to know where I can even find it in NC. I think a loaf of some Neese's Liver Pudding might be in order, sliced and fried with some over easy eggs...

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
BTW, fried eggs are fried in butter. Salted butter. When I've been to England or Scotland I have been served eggs fried in motor oil or whatever it is they use for french fries and such. Not food!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ever eat their fried bread? It isn't too bad, if you're a hungry school lad.
I wish I could eat soft-boiled, poached and fried eggs, but the scent of soft or runny egg yolk puts me off. Am I alone in this?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I like to dip my toast in the yolk. I can't eat an egg that's clear, slimey or snotty looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.