Alright, Serious Question of The Day: Do You Toast Your Bagel, Or Not?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Do they call them English muffins in England?
No. Nor do the French call potato fries any thing but the translation of same. As for Spanish Rice.....

And a dozen other things.
What do they call that muffin?? IIRC, they really don't have such. I think our EMs were derived from crumpets more or less. A good crumpet often trumps an EM, and of course, YMMV.

May 4, 2015
The boiling of bagels is most often done in an alkaline solution (industrially lye, home kitchen most often baking soda), which promotes browning while baking. Same routine with pretzels. Pennsylvania does this best.
Toasted always with cream cheese.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Now English Muffins is a whole nother thing altogether. I do love a good EM though, especially from this place we have near my office call Another Broken Egg Cafe. They do great benedict recipes with the EM's and they used to do steak and eggs, with an EM that was my go-to when I went there. Add some of their biscuit beignets with orange-honey marmalade and it's a fantastic way to start the day!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I love English muffins, and crumpets."
John, you are clearly a man of taste. An English crumpet dripping in slightly salted Danish Lurpak butter is the absolute dog's dangly bits :D
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The best crumpet I ever had was in England- no big surprise- but it was toasted over a log fire at tea time, and the jam was outrageous. Not sure the origin of the butter, though.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My favorite summertime sandwich is a toasted english muffin with cream cheese on one half and hummus on the other. Wedged between the two halves...tomato slice, cucumber slices, very thin onion slice, bell pepper slice and some fresh spinach. That is one good crispy and refreshing sandwich. I'll eat two.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
English muffins are a standard breakfast item around these parts.
And what do Canadians call American Cheese?
I have honestly never heard of American cheese. Is that like cheddar or something?
Lets not get into the whole bacon debate either.
As for the question at hand, if the bagel is fresh from a bakery, no toasting is necessary. If it is a grocery store one, then yes.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
American cheese is kind of similar to a Velveeta slice, but just not quite as good. It almost comes across as a fake cheese, but still, I grew up with it cause it's cheap. Still buy it to go on burgers and inside a grilled cheese. It's a little creamy, a little salty, probably very bad for you as I think all American creations are.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most American Cheese I've had is way better tasting than Velveeta.
All American creations bad for you? Hah. Maybe so. Who invented corned beef hash? Irish Coffee?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, well I'm sure that one Canadian creation ain't too good for you either, what's it called? Poutine?
Depends on the brand, I reckon. I know there's a burger shop on my way back to my parents that grinds all their meat daily and once it's gone, they close for the day. They use sliced Velveeta on their burgers and it's one of the more delicious burgers I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.