PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
Aaron here, from Maui.
Smoked my first pipe in the late '80s, but it wasn't a daily practice. Since I recently retired, I began enjoying it again. (I gave up cigarettes and Copenhagen completely about seven years ago. Don't miss the marlboros at all... but still crave the snuff.) I've a modest collection of pipes, mostly briar, and enjoy Orlik's golden sliced and Stokebye's navy flake... King's Stride Warped is a new fav. I enjoy trying nearly anything to be honest. So... Aloha, from Hawaii. Look forward to chatting with you.

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
Aloha from Phoenix! Used to live in Honolulu....really miss the food and beaches. Welcome!
I was in Honolulu/Waikiki many years ago. Choke traffic now. When I hop over there these days it always blows me away. Love me some AZ, for sure. Great golf out there!
:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central N.C. I have a friend who retired to Maui. In 1971, I was stationed in the Hawaiian chain, but far out, on Midway, as far from Honolulu as Omaha is from New York City. I expected Alcatraz on the reef, but it was beautiful then, not accosted by the plastic trash vortex. I mourn that place as it was. Love the albatross and terns, the sea turtles and seals. Not so much the tiger sharks. It's planted over with Australian ironwoods from the trans-Pacific cable and Pan American days. If there is anyone on Midway now, it would be some small research group. I don't know if they have a desalination plant, possibly not, tanking in any water. May be uninhabited. Forlorn. At the time, there was an even more remote Coast Guard station on Kuri, further west.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeniorAMG

SeniorAMG

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2020
Haiku, Maui
Welcome from central N.C. I have a friend who retired to Maui. In 1971, I was stationed in the Hawaiian chain, but far out, on Midway, as far from Honolulu as Omaha is from New York City. I expected Alcatraz on the reef, but it was beautiful then, not accosted by the plastic trash vortex. I mourn that place as it was. Love the albatross and terns, the sea turtles and seals. Not so much the tiger sharks. It's planted over with Australian ironwoods from the trans-Pacific cable and Pan American days. If there is anyone on Midway now, it would be some small research group. I don't know if they have a desalination plant, possibly not, tanking in any water. May be uninhabited. Forlorn. At the time, there was an even more remote Coast Guard station on Kuri, further west.

Thanks for your service.
Midway?! You're the first person I've ever chatted with who's been there.
What were you doing out there? And good timing...
We just passed the anniversary of the '42 battle there.

Reactions: briarbuck

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Welcome from Florida. I was stationed at Pearl Harbor from 09-12, but never made my way to Maui. I miss the natural beauty of Hawaii, but I guess I can't really complain. At least there's no snakes in Hawaii.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Howdee from ...

6e8e1f878fa629f2c2f98cf01960e4e0.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SeniorAMG, I started in the Navy as a radioman, trained first then sent to the DMZ off Vietnam on a minesweeper, USS Gallant MSO 489. Long patrols, underway replenishment, liberty ports at Hong Kong and Taiwan. Wangled an unheard of change of job designation and ended up on Midway Island doing a primitive multi-lith "newspaper" the readers loved -- their kids' softball teams, a little about base operations, rescues, etc. Mind blowing place, like getting to heaven, both weird and exalted, lots of wildlife, sea life, a million albatross and other birds. The Navy closed its base in 1993. Tourists can't get there. The Fish and Wildlife of the Dept. of Interior has a limited operation, research and contractors. It may all be submerged in twenty years or less, all gone. Now it is surrounded by the plastic garbage patch. It is, or maybe was, just gorgeous, like a dream of a Pacific atoll. I'm honored to have been there, for the nature. Now it is a diminishing club of people who remember it that way. Thank you for asking!

Status
Not open for further replies.