PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So it's in full force now. Every year about this time, you can walk outside and find your car a newly minted shade of matte yellow. Even with a rain event to wash it away one day, it's back again the next.
Woke up this morning with a stopped up head and a headache and very unwilling to smoke a pipe. I can take all the allergy medication I want, but it just delays the inevitable this time of year. Reckon I'll just take a week off or so to let my nose clear up and the taste come back to my tongue.
Got me some samples of PS LTF and the PS Nougat from the pipe show this weekend, so I want to actually be able to taste/smell/enjoy them when this shit clears up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had intense pollen allergies as a kid. Not as bad in adulthood, but annoying. It really tires you out. Stay hydrated and get plenty of sleep.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I had awful hay fever as a teenager which was at its worst during exam time. I was assured by my doctor I would grow out of it; in my 30's I got too close to a London Plane tree (well, I was sitting under it watching a game of cricket on the village green) which is when I finally found out what I was reacting to. Trouble was I lived and worked in London and it has a lot of London Plane trees... ...only finally got rid of the annual cycle of consuming loads of antihistamines during summer when I moved to Australia where oddly I don't have hay fever but my wife (who never had it as a kid or when living England) does.
Still, we're moving (back in her case) to Sao Paulo a bit later this year so perhaps it will reverse again :rofl:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Me too. Plus my dogs are sneezing and regurgitating while outside, so it’s not relaxing to smoke.

Jan 8, 2013
When I was younger, I was miserable this time of the year. Luckily, not so bad now, although I still have the occasional bout with allergies. I couldn't enjoy the spring or the fall, and always looked forward to the hottest and driest months of the summer, and the coldest of the winter.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Allergy season is the time of year to smoke all of the blends in your cellar that you've decided you don't really enjoy. Can't smell, can't taste. Can't be disappointed...
I hope everyone feels better. We just had a few days of serious rain, so the mold monster will be ringing my bell by week's end.
jay-roger.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Ever since I had surgery on my sinuses (well two), allergies don’t bother me anymore, I can breath all year round, well except for when a get that damn rhinovirus! I wouldn’t recommend the surgery though, one of the most painful recoveries I’ve experienced. Ugh.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Knock on wood, I've never been bothered by allergies. Lived in Georgia for a couple of years and watched it "snow" pollen from the pines. But, never felt the effects.
Hope you clear up quickly!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
On the bright side, it’ll give your tobacco some time to age.
I usually go to burleys in the spring, then lighter blends like Va/Pers as it warms up, then cigars at night in full-blown summer. All this to say, for a good five months my pipe ‘baccy gets to sit.
Have you gone to your doctor for a good allergy prescription?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't know if this is a viable suggestion, see an ENT. When I was on flying status I had my sinuses purged every now and then to stay eligible. Hope this helps some of you. It's not particularly painful, only takes an hour or so and the relief was well worth it.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Have you ever tried a Neti Pot?
I have one under the bathroom sink and use it all along. I have such bad trouble with mine and it just builds up to getting a sinus infection twice a year. It's just become a fact of life for me. My mom's are worse and she's who I got it from.
Considered balloon sinuplasty, but they say it's only good for up to 5 to 8 years and at that cost, I'd hate to do it, feel so good from it and then feel myself regress back to not being able to breathe through my nose again. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Yep, reckon I'll just put a little more age on a few things, but there's worse things that could happen, I suppose.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for that link, Cap'n!
My sinuses have been so killing me for months.
Very welcome. Thankfully they had a video. I was going to describe it in text, then thought better of it. The way I explain things, someone may have lost an eye. :rofl:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm in the same boat. Clarinex gets me through, but there are some tough days.

last weekend, we drove from Maryland (cold, no spring growth/pollen) to Raleigh NC for a wedding. I packed a couple of pipes thinking I would enjoy the warmer weather. They were in full swing with pollen and I was miserable, so no pipes were touched. It passes for me by the end of April to mid-May, every year is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.