PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstatepipe

Lurker
Oct 24, 2010
Being new to this and only having a couple of used pipes,what am I missing by not having a Peterson? I see there are a few Peterson fans on here. Is it the Craftsmanship, the way they smoke? I'm feeling the URGE to get one just too see what it's all about. The finance dept. isn't going to be happy that I'm on here talking to all you pipe nuts!!! LOL

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Get a Peterson from the Kapet line. Can get em online for around 45-55 dollars from what ive seen. Gives you a chance to get one without killing the bank doing it.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Petersons are very good pipes, I own several and really like them all. But, that being said, you aren't really "missing" anything. I do not buy into the "pipe snob" mentality.
I do enjoy my Petersons, but I enjoy my Dr Grabows just as much. Any pipe that you enjoy smoking is a great pipe.
Pick up a Peterson when you can afford it. They are well made, beautiful pipes. But enjoy whatever pipe you are smoking at the time and don't worry about what name may be stamped on it. I have several no name basket pipes that are good looking and fantastic smokers.
But do try a Pete when you can. They really are great pipes. :D

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Here's a Kapet I picked up a while back. Great smoker.
Pete120-a.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
It's just as pipetrucker said,and there is a certain peer acceptance/social status factor just like there is with a lot of products. Good honest middle of the road priced pipes that last for many years because of excellent build quality.

upstatepipe

Lurker
Oct 24, 2010
I know. I enjoy the pipes I have now, and as the budget allows I'm sure I'll add to my collection.I saw the the posts about them thats all.There are too many nice looking pipes out there.I see how this hobby grabs hold of you though...

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I do not own one and every time I save up my money , you quessed it another Nording or a GBD . There are many lesser known brands that are excellant smokers . It is best to wait until a pipe speaks to you before plunking down your money .

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am a major Peterson fiend. BUT! They aren't the only pipes out there. I also have GBDs Several Butz Choquins and a whole bunch of others. Pick what appeals to you and go with that.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I have two new Petersons,...they're nice looking pipes and although they both look great & feel good in the hand, I really don't think they're any better smokers than my two el cheapos;....an SMS meerschaum and a Tinder Box Prestegio that I've been smoking for years.

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
Peterson pipes, for the money, are some of the best "economy" pipes out there. All 7 of my Peterson's are fantastic smokers. I've never paid over $80 for any of them and two or three of them smoke better than pipes I've paid $300 for. Shop around. Good Peterson's can be had for $40 to $60 pretty easily.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ok here comes the "wet blanket". I'm with Collin on this one. I have two Petersons'. One I have mentioned before, it holds the dubious distinction of being my least favorite pipe.

It is a Peterson's Standard System No. 307. I find it adequate for one or no more than two bowls of tobacco before it goes very sour. I clean it carefully and thoroughly let it rest for an extended period of time, and .... yuck! The other is a Straight Peterson's "Donegal Rocky" No. 609 with a P-lip bit. It is a moderately decent pipe, but not worth the money I paid for it. I use it almost exclusively when I'm out mowing the lawn. That is because it's easy to clinch and the stem is sturdy.

While I can admire some of the Peterson pipes that have been posted, I simply can't bring myself to purchase another.

No offense meant to any of our esteemed Peterson collectors.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Such deal I could make you Lawrence! I have a Nording freehand I don't like because it's too big and awkward for my taste.

philblum

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
I agree. For the money you'll get great pipes.
I do have other pipes of course and I do love them too, Stanwells, Savinelli, Blakemare, Courrieu...

kammi4pipes

Lurker
Nov 1, 2010
I have a Peterson's I received from a starter kit, very nice and solid pipe. I have no complaints. May I suggest, it may simply be the models or brand?
-edit spelling

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I just counted mine and there are 64 of the things. I will admit however that most are higher grades so my opinion may be a little off balance. With that said, my best smoking Peterson is a rustic System Standard 312 that I bought new for $58.

If you would like to get the "true" Peterson experience, allow me to suggest one of their System pipes. That is what Peterson has built their reputaton on for the last 120 years. Their regular non-system pipes aren't any better or worse that Savinelli or Stanwell or GDB until you get into the $250+ range.
Lawerence, you want to sell that 307?

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
My only peterson is a peterson churchwarden, bought it cheap, under $100 cad and smokes great to me, only downside was it had an odd smell to it till I had a few bowls. now no complaints what so ever. looking foreword to after the holidays to getting a system standard =D

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
No problem here Lawerence. It would be hard to turn down that Nording.

funn

Lurker
Jul 28, 2010
I agree w/CW. The System is the reason I became a Peterson fanatic. I like

bent pipes and the Systems hang perfectly in the mouth. I like the large ones

because of the coolness of the smoke. Twains,Holmes',303,Calabash, XLs.

I consider it a rite of pipedom to clean them after every smoke..remembering when I could only afford a Wellington. Plus I like to have people think I'm a "Thinking Man".

Status
Not open for further replies.