PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For me recently I've been smoking Sutliff's TS24 and 307 individually and mixed for the past few weeks.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Tastiest is very subjective. I would recommend C&D Yorktown, Peretti Cuban Mixture and D&R Rimboche SP to the list. Delicious blends, in my opinion, and almost always available. Watch City Slices is also highly recommended.

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Grand Croupier Double Down. The blend changes all the time, I'm guessing that it's made up of C&D "scraps", but it's pretty much always good, always very smokable, not harsh, repeatable, and CHEAP.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Grand Croupier Double Down. The blend changes all the time, I'm guessing that it's made up of C&D "scraps", but it's pretty much always good, always very smokable, not harsh, repeatable, and CHEAP.
Yep, but always a VaBur. Buy that one per 10 pounds for around $160. I keep a pound of it at work with a pipe in case I forget to pack one before going.

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One I've gotten to like, but that first engendered the "where's the beef?" reaction is Spilman Mixture, which is a revival of a blend from the early twentieth century. Yes, it is mild. But after you've enjoyed the big, bold nicotine chuggers, this goes in a big bowl and serves as an all-week blend. It's mild, mild, mild, but convivial in all its low-key splendor. It's for the beyond-experienced pipe smoker. Fortunately, I was given a 7 oz. tin, so I had plenty of time to discover what it is about. On another subject, I am trying to imagine chasing' forgetting his pipe, and I'm having a hard time with it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Smoothest/Tastiest aren't necessarily synonymous with all day blend. At least for some. If I had to choose a VaBurs to smoke all day, and thank goodness I don't, I might choose among Golden Extra, Stonehaven, Roll Cake, Old Gowrie, HU Dockworker or Brunello Flake. Yorktown is pretty good but would get rather boring.