PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
Ok we've all heard the term "all day smoke..." How many bowls a day until you've crossed the line till All DAY?? (Just for fun)

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I usually smoke at least six in a day...more if I'm sitting around the house or campsite instead of working. last trip to the campsite I spent one day rotating between two cobs with almost no break between

rogermugs

Might Stick Around
Mar 10, 2013
213 bowls.

until then you're just casual.
but if you manage 3 in a row of any borkum riff, its the equivalent of 213 days of all-day smoking (in terms of death to your taste buds).
oh... and @joshwolftree being a Pipe-man is a matter of enjoyment.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I typically smoke 4-5 bowls a day. But if time and schedule allowed, I could easily enjoy 6 bowls a day. I don't think I've ever smoked more than that in one day.
Back in the day when some companies still allowed smoking, I used to work with a guy who typically smoked 10-12 bowls a day. That's who I always picture whenever anyone talks about an "all-day smoke"!
Bob

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
10+ a day, depending on how bad my pain is. It helps take the focus off, and any problems that smoking may cause will not effect my life span.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I always assumed "all day smoke" referred to the tobacco having a flavor one could enjoy any time of day. For instance, I wouldn't smoke Nightcap first thing in the morning. When it's early I want something lighter in nicotine and less pungent. Pungent tobaccos and aromatics are best left until after dinner for me, as I tend to have that flavor in my mouth and nose the rest of the night. Was I misinterpreting the saying all this time?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Five to ten bowls a day. I can pipe London Mixture, Westminster or Star of the East all day, some bowls back to back, without loosing interest in the nuances of the blend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I also equated " all day smoke " with a blend that is suitable for smoking all day long. I typically smoke 4-5 a day and once in a while 6. I am smoking all day with the 4-5 as each bowl takes about 1.5 -2.00 hours per bowl. I have never smoked the same blend all day long, in fact I cannot remember a day when I smoked the same blend twice in one day. I enjoy variety and have plenty of blends in my rotation so I don't see a need to smoke the same one more than once a day. I have always marveled at the guys who smoke 10 plus bowls a day of the same blend, it is something I could never see myself doing.
I once worked with a guy who smoked nothing but Borkum Riff Whiskey 12 hours a day while he was at work. I asked him why didn't he try something different and he just said he likes what he likes. He had the one pipe, that had the stem all chewed up and it was one nasty looking pipe. I was a cigarette and cigar smoker at the time and knew nothing about pipes back then( 1980's).

lovesmoke

Lurker
May 9, 2013
I know that excess is very harmful in everywhere. I always try to remember it. So when I smoke I try to control my self.and I don't excess in my smoke.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm reminded of the famous quote by Samuel Clemens:
As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake.

- 70th birthday speech

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Typically one bowl per day for me, weekends I can gomas high as 3 bowls, usually something different each time unless I'm trying a new blend out

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Well, in the day, when I had a real job, I smoked close to a pound a week of Edwards Scottish Moor. In between, I puffed on cigars. Sometimes, I had a cigar smoldering in the ashtray, and a lit pipe clenched.
I had to cut that out. Then I went back to some sort of sanity and smoked my old standby, SWR, all day, everyday. That is what I think of when you say "an all day smoke," something I could handle all day, maybe 10-12 bowls.
After a 20-year break, I began smoking a pipe again about 15 years ago. This time, I eschewed most aros, though occasionally I do like an aro for a break. I like VAs, VAPers, VABurs, and some English blends. Now, I rarely smoke more than 2 bowls a day. One is more like it. Some days, none, and some weeks, none. If I feel that I am puffing too much, I cut back for a week.
You can probably tell, I am not working full-time now, either. Just when I want to.
But, if I had to still pick something for an all-day, it would be SWR, my old standby. I know how that sounds, but I smoked SWR in college, as did my profs. I can still recall the absolute lush smell of SWR wafting out of the room as I left a classroom.
Ahh, nostalgia.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Usually 4-7 a day. I can smoke nightcap, or any high nic blend, all day with no worries.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I also thought an 'all day smoke' was a type of blend that you enjoyed and could tolerate without switching up.
I'm finding now that although I pursued va and vapers, I'm leaning to a 50-50 on english /va and vapers and have divided my pipes that way.
I'm also now deciding to keep the English pipes for english blends and artisans for va and vapers.
Dunhill EMP and 965 are my favorite English so far.

Each VA and Va/per offers something different to me and I enjoy just reaching for a jar that I haven't smoked in a few days.
And always looking for another to try
Man, it is endless, isn't it?

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
1 a day. Can't smoke at work, cant smoke sleeping... I dont get time for more than 1 bowl. Maybe I should stop sleeping. I know what you guys are going to say... I should stop working :crazy:

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
well I've pretty much quit chain smoking nails in favor of a lit pipe in my mouth. Now on workdays four or five bowls are smaller 15 minute bowls I carry for my breaks. I've gotten a lot of use out of sugar barrel lately, but it depends on the mood

Status
Not open for further replies.