SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I really enjoy cooking Indian food at home and it often turns out way better than the average Indian restaurant I eat at and I do go to some pretty good places. I am not one to use recipes but do consult a variety of YouTube channels and such, the one below is my favorite, and that recipe for Goan shrimp is the bomb. Indian cooking techniques seem to have a lot more steps than the sort of Mediterranean cooking I generally do but after picking up the basics it wasn't hard to get into the flow and comes a bit second nature quickly. Last night I made a simple dal which turned out amazing although I didn't have any yellow split peas so I used some split dried favas which are basically the same color and tastes pretty similar. I always make my own garlic/ginger paste which is essential to many recipes and would never consider buying it in a jar. One simple flourish that most restaurants skimp on it tempering whole spices in ghee or coconut oil to pour over and fluff in the rice. I also often make my rice in this really quick way I read on some Indian lady's blog which seems strange but comes out super fluffy. You boil the rice (not parboiled rice!) in a pot of water for 7 minutes and let it sit in a strainer for 5 mins. before fluffing. Highly recommended! Would be curious to hear if anyone else here cooks Indian food at home.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Since I’m back to traveling a bit for work the two things i do first is wherever I’m going i google corned beef and look for real delis and the second is to look for Indian food, granted im just a basic naan, veggie samosa, ckicken tikka or chicken tikka Masala guy, but two foods i love. Best Indian i ever had was in Amsterdam while traveling for a Nike project and second best was right here in Orlando, once a month I’ll make the 2 hour round trip drive for lunch.

Jan 27, 2020
Since I’m back to traveling a bit for work the two things i do first is wherever I’m going i google corned beef and look for real delis and the second is to look for Indian food, granted im just a basic naan, veggie samosa, ckicken tikka or chicken tikka Masala guy, but two foods i love. Best Indian i ever had was in Amsterdam while traveling for a Nike project and second best was right here in Orlando, once a month I’ll make the 2 hour round trip drive for lunch.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were easier to find decent Indian than corned beef these days. Where do you usually find that, Irish pubs and such? Or more Jewish deli style? When I would travel south BBQ joints were what I was after. Even good BBQ places up here suck compared to an average southern state place.

If you are ever in Central Jersey for work some of the best Indian food likely in the country is in a place called South Plainfield or Islin.

Reactions: edger and JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I wouldn't be surprised if it were easier to find decent Indian than corned beef these days. Where do you usually find that, Irish pubs and such? Or more Jewish deli style? When I would travel south BBQ joints were what I was after. Even good BBQ places up here suck compared to an average southern state place.

If you are ever in Central Jersey for work some of the best Indian food likely in the country is in a place called South Plainfield or Islin.
Good corned beef and pastrami is def a thing of the past, it’s all packaged crap now. Place 2 hours south of me in Boca has great stuff but that’s a hike, even though I’ve done it with friends and then just buy a couple extra pounds and some of their rye to bring back.

was just in KC for work and was let down in their BBQ … sure is played up a lot for what it actually is, then i was in Texas for a long weeekend with 50 cigar friends and the guy i was rooming with got up at 5 every morning to stand in line at the top 5 bbq places in the Arlington area, their brisket was good but their ribs were weird while KC had decent ribs but mediocre brisket.
Well if your vet in Orlando (it’s close to the parks) Saffron Indian had the best Indian I’ve had in the states and that’s out of about 50 places I’ve tried. Hah

Jan 27, 2020
Good corned beef and pastrami is def a thing of the past, it’s all packaged crap now. Place 2 hours south of me in Boca has great stuff but that’s a hike, even though I’ve done it with friends and then just buy a couple extra pounds and some of their rye to bring back.

was just in KC for work and was let down in their BBQ … sure is played up a lot for what it actually is, then i was in Texas for a long weeekend with 50 cigar friends and the guy i was rooming with got up at 5 every morning to stand in line at the top 5 bbq places in the Arlington area, their brisket was good but their ribs were weird while KC had decent ribs but mediocre brisket.
Well if your vet in Orlando (it’s close to the parks) Saffron Indian had the best Indian I’ve had in the states and that’s out of about 50 places I’ve tried. Hah

Have you ever been to a great BBQ place near Fort Lauderdale Airport? It's been years and I don't recall the name but I missed two flights cutting my time short going there. Once this lady in line in front of me was headed home to South Carolina and was bringing BBQ to her family as she told me it was better than anything where she lived.

I only eat fish these days but my favorite pastrami use to be at the original 2nd Ave Deli. in Manhattan. Luckily, I live down the street from where Russ and Daughters (famous nyc smoked fish and bagel place) has their production facility so I can get great smoked sturgeon etc. whenever I I in the mood, although very pricy.

Reactions: JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Have you ever been to a great BBQ place near Fort Lauderdale Airport? It's been years and I don't recall the name but I missed two flights cutting my time short going there. Once this lady in line in front of me was headed home to South Carolina and was bringing BBQ to her family as she told me it was better than anything where she lived.
No not sue of that one, I’m up by cocoa beach we have a couple small joints that i grew up eating 45 yrs ago and to me that is how bbq should be, they don’t do brisket they do top round so more of a smoked roast beef which i love and makes amazing bbq sandwiches. It’s all so subjective and individualized but fun trying new places.

Jan 27, 2020
No not sue of that one, I’m up by cocoa beach we have a couple small joints that i grew up eating 45 yrs ago and to me that is how bbq should be, they don’t do brisket they do top round so more of a smoked roast beef which i love and makes amazing bbq sandwiches. It’s all so subjective and individualized but fun trying new places.

Oh ok, I preferred port BBQ to be honest. Brunswick stew too.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Indian cooking is just too intimidating for me. Roasting and prepping all those spices are something I'm not looking forward to. One of reason why I don't cook Korean food too often. Not spices, just too many ingredients that needs to be chopped and sliced. I prefer American cooking. Slap a meat on a grill :)

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
This video has succeeded in making me very hungry! ...coincidentally, I am making a big batch of tikka masala from scratch today. I am even making tandoori chicken on the grill to simulate the indian buffet's 'yesterday's tandoori goes in tomorrow's tikka' vibe.

I want to expand my repertoire, but I have been working on my current varieites for about a decade - it is intimidating to get started, but I think Indian cuisine/curry in general can be pretty approachable!

Goan shrimp sounds amazing, by the way

Jan 27, 2020
This video has succeeded in making me very hungry! ...coincidentally, I am making a big batch of tikka masala from scratch today. I am even making tandoori chicken on the grill to simulate the indian buffet's 'yesterday's tandoori goes in tomorrow's tikka' vibe.

I want to expand my repertoire, but I have been working on my current varieites for about a decade - it is intimidating to get started, but I think Indian cuisine/curry in general can be pretty approachable!

Goan shrimp sounds amazing, by the way

What's amazing about that recipe which I think really helps the dish is at some point you puree some raw shrimp with tomato and towards the end you incooperate it into the dish to finish cooking. Astounding! Also,that dude is hilarious.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to be a decent cook as I did all the cooking for my 4 kids and exwife. I was not a fancy cook. Just the basics, Block Island Sword Fish, clams, scallops, Lobsters, Steaks, Chicken, Blue fish and Mackerel for me while the rest ate scrod. Not many people would each blue fish and Mackerel as they were dark oily fish.

We ate out a lot as all my kids loved sushi as soon as they could chew. They also love a dish of Squid in black bean sauce from a local Cantonese cuisine restaurant They would always bugs us to eat the chewy fish The all love their clams, cooked or raw didn't matter. .

I moved to Florid in the west side and it is a food dessert. Never lived with a restaurant scene so pathetic], One good sushi joint, one good Cantonese cuisine restaurant, One decent Viet nemeses place. No decent Mexican. One decent Peruvian restaurant. not one freaking greek joint how do you now have a] decent gyro in a city this size.

My son does some cooking that is pretty good, I can still make a good pot roast or a chicken soup.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri

Where did you get your BBQ when you were in KC?

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I really enjoy cooking Indian food at home and it often turns out way better than the average Indian restaurant I eat at and I do go to some pretty good places. I am not one to use recipes but do consult a variety of YouTube channels and such, the one below is my favorite, and that recipe for Goan shrimp is the bomb. Indian cooking techniques seem to have a lot more steps than the sort of Mediterranean cooking I generally do but after picking up the basics it wasn't hard to get into the flow and comes a bit second nature quickly. Last night I made a simple dal which turned out amazing although I didn't have any yellow split peas so I used some split dried favas which are basically the same color and tastes pretty similar. I always make my own garlic/ginger paste which is essential to many recipes and would never consider buying it in a jar. One simple flourish that most restaurants skimp on it tempering whole spices in ghee or coconut oil to pour over and fluff in the rice. I also often make my rice in this really quick way I read on some Indian lady's blog which seems strange but comes out super fluffy. You boil the rice (not parboiled rice!) in a pot of water for 7 minutes and let it sit in a strainer for 5 mins. before fluffing. Highly recommended! Would be curious to hear if anyone else here cooks Indian food at home.

I love Indian food but unfortunately my family are not big fans. I recently purchased a tagine and have been trying my hand at Moroccan cuisine.
I made lamb kefta a couple of weeks ago that was fabulous.
I’m going to try the rice cooking method you posted about.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy eating Indian food at authentic restaurants. My wife made an tasty Indian curry dish last evening. My late wife, knowing I like Indian food, bought me an Indian cookbook, but yoiks, most of the recipes had about 35 ingredients, and I wasn't up for that, neither shopping nor cooking.

During the pandemic, I've really missed our Indian restaurants. It doesn't work as well for take-out as Mexican or even sashimi. I like both vegetarian and Indian meat dishes. I enjoy Pimms Cups, though that was an English concept, I think, and the mixing of flavored sodas and beer when they happen to go together. The spice is a key to the food, complex and usually fairly hot/spicy, and the bread is especially good.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Everywhere but Q38 ( i think that’s the name) that will be when i go back in a few weeks.
Q39 is one of my favorites - burnt ends and brisket are quite good. If you haven’t yet you should try a Tank 7 Farmhouse ale while your in town.
Other BBQ places I like are Joes Kansas City and HawgJawz Brew and Q

If you like whiskey try to visit Harry’s Country Club in the River Market. Ask for the Whiskey menu and sit on the patio so you can smoke.