PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
How are they, of all things wife was reading my Cigar magazine and because my name is Bradley asked if I smoked them. How are they, any good.
The few I’ve had have all been good. I think I’ve had the Sun Grown, the Project 40, and the Connecticut. I like the Project 40 the most of the ones I’ve tried, but the Prensados are supposed to be really good. Haven’t tried those yet.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Alec Bradley (named after the makers sons Alec & Bradley) makes a wide line of cigars. I enjoy most of them and I can only remember not thinking of just a couple of them but they are all priced well for what you get.

Two standouts that are as good or better than many of the mainstream premiums are Prensado and Tempus maduro. I buy them by the box. The Prensado is highly rated but can still be had for a good price relatively speaking.

Since they make so many cigars you need to pay attention when ordering. For example the Prensado is also available in a "Lost Art" version which is good but not as good as the original.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
If you like a good nicotine hit, the maxx line will deliver, very rich flavour from memory also. (I’ve only had the fixx but loved it).They are mostly large ring gauge as well, except for the nano which is 46rg x 4” ( if it were 5-6” it would be perfect in my opinion:rolleyes: ).
Enjoyed it so much the nicotine crept up big time..
Luckily it was on Christmas Day and I had a half dozen fruit mince pies to help me ride it out.:)

Reactions: tbradsim1

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I can't help but think that the brands that have 2 dozen offerings and who are continually developing the next cigar are always doing a tapdance around quality vs. production price, and in this quality loses. I never trusted Rocky Patel, though I smoked a few of his cigars.

It's like the swill they call American lager, just enough quality so that someone might consider drinking it backed up by enough marketing to choke a horse. It's the American way.

You know what you've been missing when you drink DogFish Head double IPA. Double the price for a 4-pack? I paid it gladly, especially with the payoff looming by drinking it all. And how was I to keep my hands off the best beer I'd had?

I know some of you do not favor Steve Johnson, but he has been a maniac for the best tobacco that he could get. That's a great start, but a jump in quality that I could afford; the Padron Anniversaries and Opus's are great cigars but clearly too expensive for me. I never smoked an Opus. Can you imagine the expense for caring for 10 and 20 year old tobacco? So quality reaches a limit by price.

In all of this I think of the corporate model that takes a buzz saw to any and every resource yet available. Fish in the oceans? Great, just use miles long nets. Catch 'em all, right now. Trees in Borneo? It's an island. Let's clearcut the whole thing. Rubber, gold, diamonds in Africa? Let's go, and if the local population is more impoverished by this, let's get ours now. By rights these resources should be owned by the national/local population, not the corporations who don't care who or what they hurt as long as the profits are good.

So this is the model for business, and cigar companies are a business, and I have to wonder how much of these tactics get into our beloved tobacco.

Reactions: dcon and tbradsim1

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
While not a high end cigar, I have found them be of good quality, and value.

On par with the Gurkha brand, AB has a wide range and offers attractive pricing. Commonly offered in bundle promotions.

The Prensado line is a favorite of mine.

Save for a box of JSK Nuggs recently, I haven’t bought cigars for over 5 years. With only so many hours in a day, I have transitioned more to pipe smoking in the last several years, and scaled back on cigars. I do have sufficient stock of cigars to last me for a long time though.

My opinion is that they are a very good value and a reasonably good quality cigar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went to Cigar International, and packs of twenty go for thirty/forty bucks. At those prices, I might smoke the occasional cigar. That's within the range of pipe smoking per smoke.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I went to Cigar International, and packs of twenty go for thirty/forty bucks. At those prices, I might smoke the occasional cigar. That's within the range of pipe smoking per smoke.
May I recommend Cigar Auctioneer? There are a lot of good deals to be had there, if you like the auction game. If not, Atlantic Cigar is another great resource.

Cigars International, while cheap, has had abysmal customer service for years, as well as questionable cigar storage conditions. Hell, they got popped selling fake Fuente Maduro Opus 10 or 12 years ago and that's why I won't use them anymore. Somehow, they maintained the Fuente account, though no longer get any of the special releases.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I find them pretty hit and miss as a brand. I did think the Project 40 was a pretty damn good value... I was expecting to like the Gatekeeper quite a bit, but the one I tried had a tight draw and was thin on flavor as well. The first Prensado I tried a few years back was excellent, but then I got a few in a sampler from CI, and they were pretty mediocre. The Magic Toast was solid, if I remember what I thought of it. I'd still like to try the Coyol line. They have a lot of different lines, of varying quality I'm sure, but they generally do work with well a regarded factories (Raices Cubanas, Plasencia, EPC, etc.)

I second the suggestion for Cigar Auctioneer. It is amazing how many items you can get for the minimum bid, which is a nice discount. Atlantic is another favorite. Holt's usually has some AB lines included in their weekly and daily sales, and might be worth checking out as well.

Reactions: Rockyrepose

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
They were decent, DONT know if I’ll partake again.
That is how I felt when I had a 5 pack years ago.
The exception was the maxx, as I deviously mentioned.
I remember wondering what the fuss was about, I think at that time Cigar Aficionado had the tempus, or whatever as their cigar of the year or if not very close and I haven’t given them a second thought. Just middle of the road to my tastes anyway.
To each their own I guess, but the hype they had in previous years hasn’t kept up.. I don’t think I’ve even seen any of you guys light one up here on this thread even.

(On a budget at the moment so I live my Cigar life vicariously through you guys lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.